Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Some people say you don't love your kid...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
  • 165 Replies
1 mom liked this

To the parents who don't have their kids in the correct car seat? I am just wondering why? I am not bashing I am just trying to get different point of views as why some people think their kids do not need car seats...

Are your kids to old?

Does it inconvenience you having to buckle them?

Are you kids to big/tall? ( How tall and how much do they weigh?)

They are not comfortable?

You can't afford them?

I can give you a lot of reason my children are in car seats...

8 years old in a Diono Radian high back booster... He weighs 55 lbs...

5 years old in a Diono Radian forward facing 5 point harness... He weighs 47...

2 years old in a Diono Radian rear facing 5 point harness... He weighs 27 ...

11 months old in a Diono Radian rear facing 5 point harness... She weighs 23.4... ( Yes, she is a chunker... ) 

Hope to get some great feedback on both views from people who use and do not use car seats!!

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AMRios
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:48 PM

BUMP!

zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I only have one question. What do you do about long legs when they are rear-facing?.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM
The laws and recommendations have changed as often as people change underwear. I ditched the booster ages ago when it was then recommended to do so. And some recommendations would have me still in a booster.
thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Well DS is almost 4, he should still be rear facing, and I am huge carseat nut, but at one point convienace took over. He's not even 30 pounds yet so I feel badly, but whatever. We rarely ride in the car anyway it seems. He will however be harnessed for a very long time. He won't be riding boosters until he's freaking 7! Seriously haha.

I don't like when people delibrately ignore carseat safety. Like my sister is one who straps her 1 and 2 year olds in booster seats =/ Makes me sick to my stomach.

AMRios
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:51 PM

They put them on the back of the seat or sit Indian style... :) My 5 year old just started forward facing at 45 lbs and never once complained about his legs... They are very flexable at such a young age... 

Quoting zeenah:

I only have one question. What do you do about long legs when they are rear-facing?.

thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That is the most common question related to this, I swear lol. Kids naturally are more comfortable sitting indian style and etc. which is what most rear facing children do. Dangling legs down is actually alot less comfortable. They can prop them, or just fold them. It's not dangerous whatsoever either.

Quoting zeenah:

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

No idea. My 6 year old is in a Graco Nautilus. He also has a Cybex XFix booster and an Evenflo Maestro as a booster and I can't fathom not having him in anything.
AMRios
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Sadly, they do change often... We used to replace our car seats every year to try to keep up with the laws... Now we do what we think is best for our kids... 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

The laws and recommendations have changed as often as people change underwear. I ditched the booster ages ago when it was then recommended to do so. And some recommendations would have me still in a booster.

zeenah
by Zarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

She's still rear facing she's only 19 months but she's in the 96th percentile for height and its mostly legs like mommy and she hates Indian style it just looks uncomfortable to me .

Quoting thatgirlNH:

That is the most common question related to this, I swear lol. Kids naturally are more comfortable sitting indian style and etc. which is what most rear facing children do. Dangling legs down is actually alot less comfortable. They can prop them, or just fold them. It's not dangerous whatsoever either.

Quoting zeenah:

AMRios
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is horrible about your sister... My sister is the same way... I always say stuff to her.. When her son rides with us and sees our kids in car seats he tells him mom he wants on in their car... We will not let him go anywhere with us unless he is in a seat and he gladly does it... 

Quoting thatgirlNH:

Well DS is almost 4, he should still be rear facing, and I am huge carseat nut, but at one point convienace took over. He's not even 30 pounds yet so I feel badly, but whatever. We rarely ride in the car anyway it seems. He will however be harnessed for a very long time. He won't be riding boosters until he's freaking 7! Seriously haha.

I don't like when people delibrately ignore carseat safety. Like my sister is one who straps her 1 and 2 year olds in booster seats =/ Makes me sick to my stomach.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN