Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How well can fleas survive without animals?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

We are a pet-free household. Our house is fairly clean, though cluttered. I vacuum and clean on a regular basis. We've never had fleas.

I was sitting here a little earlier and my leg started itching and I noticed there are two distinct bites that I was unaware of before. I'm worried that I got bit here since I didn't notice them earlier.

Yesterday we were at a friend's house - and they have animals. Dogs that go outside and an indoor cat.

If for some reason they have fleas, what are the chances we could have brought them home, and how well can they survive in our home if we don't have animals? I just got out the vacuum, vacuumed the crap out of our living room areas and emptied the canister outside, but that easily might not have done it. I have some bags of that diatomaceous earth on the way so hopefully if we have anything that can kill them off.

Any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kzuehlk
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Fleas will feed off people if there are no animals

I'm not sure how long they can survive
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Not too likely, just to be safe, buy some of that arm and hammer carpet fresh with flea killer, you will most likely be fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Quoting kzuehlk:

Fleas will feed off people if there are no animals

I'm not sure how long they can survive

Yes, I realize this. :) Hence...the bites (and yes, I knew that before lol.) I just wondered if it's as easy for them to survive if there's no animal around.

snowbear74
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Fleas can live for weeks to months without a host. The life span of a flea is only about 100 days, but the eggs can remain dormant for a long time if conditions are not right.so as long as they have a source of food(humans instead of pets) they can keep reproducing.check online for ways to rid your home of fleas until you get the diatomaceous earth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Be careful with that stuff. Do you have small children ?
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
It's very unlikely your house will become infested from a flea or two you 'may' have brought home. More than likely you were but while visiting your friend and the fleas stayed there.

But to answer your question, they can live for months without a host.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Be careful with that stuff. Do you have small children ?

DS is 10. It's supposed to be safe...as long as he's not sitting there with his nose right up next to it breathing it in!

whiteNnerdy
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:37 PM
If you have hard wood floors, mop in bleachnwater, they can live forever inthe cracks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Quoting whiteNnerdy:

If you have hard wood floors, mop in bleachnwater, they can live forever inthe cracks.

We rent this house and there is partial "fake" wood floor. What about that?

whiteNnerdy
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM
If there are cracks, they can live in it. You could prob just spray some and let it sit so you dont warp the floor.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting whiteNnerdy:

We rent this house and there is partial "fake" wood floor. What about that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)