Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Temper Tantrum Scare

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Does anyone else have a child who throws tantrums & tries to scream but holds his breath to the point he turns purple!? My son is a year & 7ms old & just did this! I'm very concerned because I thought I had to call 911 but he suddenly got up & acted like nothing happened! I'll be calling his pedi tomorrow but need to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Unless he actively stops breathing, you won't need 911. He'll start breathing on his own. Lastly, if you're concerned when he's doing it, tickle him because he'll giggle a little and take a deep breath :)
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I used to do it when I was a toddler. They can only hold their breath until they pass out, then the brain takes over. Ignoring it worked well to get me to stop.

hello_kitty25
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:10 PM

MY dd will run into walls and slap herself. drives me NUTS. im not even sure what to do, so...bump!

hello_kitty25
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Or he will get pissed off, slap you away and scream.l ol

Quoting Anonymous:

Unless he actively stops breathing, you won't need 911. He'll start breathing on his own. Lastly, if you're concerned when he's doing it, tickle him because he'll giggle a little and take a deep breath :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Heeehee. Either way, it'll make him stop and catch a breath. My DS did this, too and often times than not when the "Tickle Monster" asks him to quit holding his breath, it'll usually lighten the mood and we'll giggle together and the tantrum stops.

Quoting hello_kitty25:

Or he will get pissed off, slap you away and scream.l ol

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
My daughter did that a few times when she was one. She scared me, because she would turn purple and roll her eyes to the point of almost passing out. I just gave her a little spanking until she breath again.
mopsmommy5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM
My one daughter did that but her heart stopped and had to be resuscitated the few times she did it-very scarey! Her dr checked her out so did the ER they never found anything and she grew out of it finally! But she was one in a million, that it happened to her! Good luck!
melschlegs
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM

If it really concerns you, blow a quick puff of air in his face.  That should shock him into a normal breathing pattern again, lol.  

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM

he will just pass out and start breathing again

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:39 AM

this

works every time

Quoting melschlegs:

If it really concerns you, blow a quick puff of air in his face.  That should shock him into a normal breathing pattern again, lol.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN