Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Temper Tantrum Scare

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Does anyone else have a child who throws tantrums & tries to scream but holds his breath to the point he turns purple!? My son is a year & 7ms old & just did this! I'm very concerned because I thought I had to call 911 but he suddenly got up & acted like nothing happened! I'll be calling his pedi tomorrow but need to know if this has ever happened to anyone else?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
paganmommy4
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM

he'll pass out and be fine. All your pedi will do is tell you to let them pass out, they'll survive, it doesnt hurt them and they will stop

skymama10
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:44 AM
My dd did this. Until one day she smashed her face into the corner of the wall. She quit after that.

Quoting hello_kitty25:

MY dd will run into walls and slap herself. drives me NUTS. im not even sure what to do, so...bump!

neva_eva_always
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM

It scares every mom the first time it happens. It won't do any harm the most that will happen is he'll pass out and start to breath normal when he does. Toddlers are usually the ones who do this for attention and used to get their butts smacked. They do it for a reaction because parents usually give it to stop the breath holding but that's the worst thing to do because he'll do it every time he doesn't get his way. Ignore him and the most he'll pass out but be fine. They can't hold their breathes long enough to cause damage.

villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Thankfully my dd doesnt do that. i did have a little boy that i used to babysit for that as soon as he was told no or couldnt have something he wouldnt cry he would just hold his breath until he was blue and pass out. The first time it happened i FLIPPED i had no idea what happened. After a panicked phone call to his parents they informed me that he just did that (lol nice of them to give me a warning on that). His parents said that the just had to ignore it. They were told by his dr that he wouldnt die.

kpalmer282
by New Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

my daughter is five now but she use to do the same things and my aunt told me to pick her up and blow in her face and she will breath and then just to ignore it

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The assumption that it's always a normal temper tantrum can be - wrong.

This happened in my friend's family.   She and her sisters did this.   This had been going on for several generations, so much so that it was part of the family lore that the 'girls were stubborn and strong willed'.

Turns out they were having seizures.

The seizures were probably related to insufficient placenta.   This continued into her generation.   It was not detected til she had a son who was profoundly retarded and had frequent severe seizures.

Coconutty4Hubby
by Cafe Goddess on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM
No.that is scary! Good luck!
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Not me but I've heard it's common.  I've heard of it in baby books like Dr. Spock, if anyone remembers him.

No I get the kid that will argue you to death and if he doesn't like what you're saying he starts speaking in tongues.  Just kidding but he will start doing this blah blah blah thing.  I told him he was rude, he needed to not interupt, and he did apologize.

crystalplus1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Yeah kids do that. Mom just ignored it, unless its a medical issue. She always told us If we passed out we would start breathing again.

Foleygirl24
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Just ignore it. If it gets to the point where he passes out he will start breathing again automatically.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)