Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SAHMs come in here

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 111 Replies
3 moms liked this
It's a big topic around here how we SAHMs leech off our DH/SO.

When DH and I decided I should stay home we did so because it made financial sense. I was taking home about $3600 a month. I was spending $2000 a month on child care, $400 a month on fuel to get to and from daycare & work, $800 a month for the maid because I didn't have time to clean house. After you factor in a couple lunches or coffees a week I pretty much worked to pay for working.

So how much would it cost you to work?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM
18 moms liked this

After the day I had I DARE someone to tell me I am leaching off my husband by staying home to take care of the kids. Give me a fucking break. Anyone who thinks a sahm mom is leaching or lazy or any other horrible thing is ridiculous and we do not need to justify staying home with our kids to anyone. yea, it would cost many moms more to actually work and have their kids in day care, myself included, and that's an Ok reason to stay home, but its also ok to say, "fuck the finances, I am staying home because I want to be with my kids" and that's where I stand!

lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Why are you worried about what that lady said? She is so dumb it's ridiculous.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomofKASandIGS
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure what the actual numbers would be, but I am sure my situation would be similar. I would much rather be there for my children than drop them off at a daycare. That may work for some but I am not one of them. The "leech" term really irritates me. I take care of my kids, plus homeschool my daughter, and this next fall I will start homeschooling my son also, I clean the house, take care of our chickens and our dog. Basically I do everything but bring home the bacon. To say that women that do this stuff are leeches is mean to say the least.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

*leach*

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't care how much it would have cost me to work. It didn't factor into the decision. I wanted to raise my children and I've been home 8 years and I'll be home another 2-3 years and then I will go back to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I'm just curious. That post got me thinking though, for me, staying home actually helps our finances. I'm wondering if other people are in the same position. KWIM?

Quoting lovemyhoney19:

Apr1l
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
This sounds about right

Quoting lovemyhoney19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xanayda
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I just started working a month or so ago and I might have to quit when summer is up due to child care. Right now we have a teen doing it for super cheap. Daycare, even the only 10 hours a week we'd need, would be $200 a week... crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:44 PM

when i had 3 kids & worked, i broke even.  my paychecks paid for daycare, gas, lunches.  i had very little money left over. when i had the 4th baby, working would have been pointless because it would have cost us money after factoring in the extra daycare charges. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)