Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

murder in my area

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
  • 13 Replies
Wednesday afternoon a 17 yr old a few streets down from me was murdered in a hit and run drug deal. He was selling drugs to a bunch of other kids in a F150 they sped off without paying. He tried to hold on to their truck after dragging him for a bit he fell off and then they backed over his head.
This is a generally nice area. Things like this hardly ever happen around her but I have an issue. My sd 9 has been gone all week at her mom's typically she likes to play at the friends house who is about 5 house from ours however the little girl lives across the street from the road where the kid was murdered. I don't want to tell sd about the murder nor do I want to tell her she can't play with her friends but I don't want her going down there by herself anymore. I used to let her run down there and come homev when she got board but now I'm not comfortable with it. So do u all think I should go to her friends house with her? How long should I walk her to her friend's house for?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Talk to her friends mom
Amy_M
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

If you don't tell her, her friend probably will.  You dont have to say it was a murder or give her details, just tell her the boy was hit by a car.  No need to go in to details.

britadams10
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

people used to come into the ER at 2am, stabbed, shot or half beat to death. 

i know most guys are selling girl scout cookies on the corner at that time so I never feel too bad for them.

I wish i could make that sound less mean.

sunrisekn
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I wouldn't tell her exactly what happened but I would touch on the subject briefly and make sure she understands the rules and consequences. 

I would walk her over there for as long as you or her needed. The comfort of walking her over there maybe be something you need once or several times, just take it day by day. 

mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:38 PM
My husband kept saying he shouldn't of been selling drugs. I'm sorry I just can't look at it Like that this pooe kid died because of a mistake. People make mistakes at 17 that's what being a teen is about. 3 minors and 2 19 yr olds are in jail for making a mistake all over a little pot. A poor mom lost her son right after loosing her husband 3 months ago to cancer. I drove down there today it was all sprayed off with pink spray paint his house was packed with cars and the CSI unit was maping out the crime scene. It was like something from a tv show. I just wanted to see how close sds friend lives to the scene. I'm actually scared of her friends brothers inviting sd and her friend to play near the area. I know that sounds silly but when I was little if someone I didn't know died astound me (typically elderly people) wed run over and touch their abandoned house just to see who could stand there the longest without getting scared.

Quoting britadams10:

i know most guys are selling girl scout cookies on the corner at that time so I never feel too bad for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I can almost guarantee you someone is going to tell her, if you tell her you have the chance to answer her questions and let her know that because of that you are concerned about her.  Don't scare you her just explain that for your sanity you need to make some changes.  If someone else tells her you have no idea howwhat they are saying.. 

Talk to the other Mom and propose that the 2 of you work together about your sd getting back and forth.  If you live that close maybe you can set it up so that you call the other Mom to let her know sd is on her way, and both of you can walk out far enough to watch her and make sure she gets there.  When she's ready to come home reverse it and have the other mom call you so you can go out and watch her come home.

.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I can't really give you an unbiased answer, I wouldn't allow my 9 year old go anywhere without me or dh.

mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Its ok thanks for the bump.

Quoting .Milfshake.:

I can't really give you an unbiased answer, I wouldn't allow my 9 year old go anywhere without me or dh.

LetoLiebe
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Why not have the little friend over to your house instead? That way you know she is in a safe location and you can occasionally monitor their conversations to see if the killing comes up.

If not, I would walk with her and walk down to go get her at an appointed time every time all the time. We never, ever let our kids walk anywhere alone before age 14. There are just too many things that can go wrong, and too many crazies and sickos around. If our eyes are on them they won't get taken. It only takes a second.

That's always what I remember when ever I recall or hear about a new horrible crime involving a child, it only takes a second of them being out there alone on the road or side walk, in the yard, on the playground. That's my biggest fear, is one of them being taken, or hit by a car.

I personally wouldn't bring the murder up to her at all either. I would talk to her little friend's mom just to confirm I'd rather she not bring it up to her, then after the visits I would ask how the visit was and what did she an her friend talk about all day, and chances are if it was told to her she will tell you and then you can discuss it with her at that time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM

He was dumb for trying to hold onto the back of a truck full of kids who had stiffed him for the price of illegal drugs. 

Quoting mamaBerg85:

My husband kept saying he shouldn't of been selling drugs. I'm sorry I just can't look at it Like that this pooe kid died because of a mistake. People make mistakes at 17 that's what being a teen is about. 3 minors and 2 19 yr olds are in jail for making a mistake all over a little pot. A poor mom lost her son right after loosing her husband 3 months ago to cancer. I drove down there today it was all sprayed off with pink spray paint his house was packed with cars and the CSI unit was maping out the crime scene. It was like something from a tv show. I just wanted to see how close sds friend lives to the scene. I'm actually scared of her friends brothers inviting sd and her friend to play near the area. I know that sounds silly but when I was little if someone I didn't know died astound me (typically elderly people) wed run over and touch their abandoned house just to see who could stand there the longest without getting scared.

Quoting britadams10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)