Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone have a good laundry detergent recipe?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I am looking into making my own laundry detergent and it being as green as possible so I don't want too many ingredients or any harsh ones. Does anyone have anything like that?

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Mychele
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:32 AM
I use the popular one but its probably not what you're looking for.
stargaze281
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:33 AM

no, sorry

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

This is what we have been using for the past few years and I love it!  Our clothes get cleaner,it is easy to make and is so much cheaper! I have difficulty with fragrances and with this I don't have to worry...you can add an essential oil of your choice if you want though.

Homemade Laundry Soap
1/3 bar Fels Naptha or 1/2 bar Kirk's Castile (both at Meijers in the grocery area bottom shelf at our store where the liquid handsoap is)
1/3 cup borax
1/3cup washing soda
Large pan
5 gallon bucket with lid
Fill the pan about 1/4 with once the water is hot add the grated bar soap and stir until dissolved...then add the borax and stir until dissolved and now the washing soda and again stir until dissolved. Let cool and once cooled it will have gelled.Sometimes it will gel more than others. Now pour the cooled soap into the 5 gallon bucket and fill the rest of the way with water and stir to mix. Put the lid on.
We use about a tablespoon or two for a large or extra large load. This lasts us at least 3 months sometimes more but,we do alot of laundry.
I also use white vinegar in the wash sometimes as it will sanitize,soften,deodorize and remove soap residue.
White vinegar is also what we mop with.
I haven't bought bleach for over 4-5 years now ... I do buy Oxyclean on rare occasion but,not often

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Tide + Supermarket
BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 or 2 Bottles Purex Crystals Fabric Softener (55oz) - Technically optional, but who doesn't want smelly good laundry?

1 Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3 lb 7 oz)

1 Box of Borax (4 lb 12 oz)

1 Container of OxyClean (3 lb) - Also, technically, optional.

1 Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4 lb.)

Zote or Fels Naptha Bar Soap (28 to 30 oz)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured