Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For anyone whos had an anxiety attack

Posted by   + Show Post

Could you tell me what it feels like? I have been having rough weeks at work lately, but after getting talk to twice about how unapproachable I am and no one liking my presence there, I talk only to the new MA, patients, and the doctor I work with. Now I'm noticing the days I go to work I have sharp chest pain and difficulty breathing before work, or if I'm irritated. For example today, I had chest pain when I woke up for work and while driving to work. The pain went away by the time I was there for 2 hours. When I got home, I found my kids were gone (they were supposed to go with my mom tomorrow) and my lazy husband sitting there, waiting for me to get home to have me take him to the movies. When I went in the room and passed out, he then takes my car and leaves until I wake up. I didn't say a word to him about it, but it angered me so much because he knows not to take my car. He has his own car that he didn't keep up. I'm now sitting here angry and noticed I can't breath again and have sharp chest pain on the left side (near my heart). Is this a panic attack or should I be going to a hospital?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM
Anxiety and panic attacks are part of our basic instinct of fight or flight.

You're poor daughter. If this is your attitude you might be a huge contributor to her anxiety.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Its sounds like you may have a social anxiety disorder. I have that also. I really hate talking to people I do not know and I really dont care to get to know them. When a lady in front of me at the grocery store tries to strike up a convo, my heart starts pounding and I get very anxious, I pretend I forgot something and just move to a line at the other end...(yeah its that bad)...I do not answer the door if Im not expecting some, My DH has to do all the communicating with anyone who calls for anything. I talk to my mom about once a month and occasionally speak to my DH grandma, but thats it. 

Its this constant fear of embarrassing myself...like when I walk away I always think to myself "They are judging me right now, I know they are"...I usually say something in my head before I let it come out of my mouth, and then after I say it I whisper it or say it over again in my head to make sure it came out right and I didnt make myself look stupid.

Believe it or not you ladies are the only adult interaction that I have besides my DH, he is the only person that has ever made me feel comfortable...I love him so much..lol..Its easy for me to talk online, but in person, Im a mess.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.htm

Quoting janel09:

Thank you. I read it, but I don't feel like I'm anxious over anything. I hate work, so my chest hurts when I wake up on a work day. My husband does stupid things, my chest hurts. The weird thing is (please don't judge me on this)I started cutting again after 5 years because of my boss telling me there's something wrong with me because I don't talk to anyone at work. People are always yelling at me, telling me what I'm not doing right. Even so, I stopped completely, again. I just don't respond when someone makes me angry, or feel bad about myself. That's when the chest pain started.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

Here ya go mama. This is the reference page I used that convinced me I needed to see my doctor.

raychill
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:27 AM

i started havin anxiety attacks when i was 13. they always staredt with a feeling like im almost dizzy but not quite...kinda like im floating and i cant focus on any one thought..my head would go blank and id get overwhelmed and then that would scare me then id start cryin and that would get out of control pretty quickly. then my breathin would go andid start hyperventilating and blubbering. just ridiculous   anyways my dad should have taken me to a dr but never did. i learned to sense the on-set of it so i could get somewhere private or at least quiet and away from most people, and focus on breathing. and as ive gotten older, i have them less and have still never seen a dr for it. feel like i got it pretty much under control but i would definitely go to make sure it has nothin to do with your heart

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM

anxiety can mimic a heart attack or heart troubles, but you need to get it checked out.

andrea0314
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:29 AM
I have them. My chest will hurt ill feel uneasy and worried headaches etc. Sounds like it could be anxiety I was on meds for mine but I'd definitely get it checked out just in case its not anxiety take any pain in ur chest seriously and always get checked... I'm in the medical field u never know what it is til ur seen by a doctor cuz some things have.similar symptoms
mommieof3_752
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:37 AM

Also I sometimes after an attack, a very bad bad migraine will follow.

(1) My hands start going numb first, usually my middle finger on my left hand first.

(2) Then the vision in my right eye starts to get blotchy, soon after I can not see at all out of this eye.

(3) My mouth, lips, gums, and tongue go numb.

(4) I lose the ability to properly put a sentence together. I know what I want to say, and I can say it in my head...but my mouth just wont say it right. Most of the time, whatever comes out has nothing to do with the subject Im talking about.

(5) The headache hits...right in the back of my head and behind my right eye...it just pounds and doesnt stop. 

After about 1-2 1/2 hours the symptoms with start to ease off, but the pounding stays for the rest of the day. There is no over the counter med that will stop this. I have to go through all of this and just deal, I take Excedrin but it does nothing basically. They prescribed my Vicodin 10s but they do not really help, the make my chest pain ease a bit but thats it.

You may not have these but Im just letting you know, the doctor told me these headaches are a result of the attacks. I started having attacks at around 8, but the headaches after them didnt start until I was 12.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM

How to Tell if You're Having an Anxiety Attack

Recall that anxiety attacks can mimic other health problems. If you haven't been to a doctor, it's often a good idea to go at least once to rule out any more serious issues. Make sure your doctor knows about anxiety, however. Not all doctors are aware of the severity of anxiety attack symptoms.

Also, if you haven't yet, take my 7 minute anxiety test to see how your symptoms related to anxiety disorders.

The symptoms below are often experienced differently by different people. During an anxiety attack, your body experiences a wave of stress that is so profound, it's difficult to know exactly how your individual body will react. Yet below are some of the most common symptoms of an anxiety attack:

• Rapid, pounding heartbeat.
  • Feeling of your heart being squeezed or pressured.
  • Chest pains, often sharp pains in the center of the chest.
  • Intense sweating with possible hot/cold sensations.
  • Lightheadedness, possibly with confusion.
  • Feeling as though you cannot get a deep breath.
  • Weakness, tingling, or numbness in the arms and legs.
  • Dizziness, possibly along with feeling faint.
  • Burning sensations that travel through the skin and muscles.
  • Intense feeling of doom – as though something terrible is about to happen.
  • Trouble concentrating or focusing on anything other than your symptoms.
  • The impulse of feeling like you need to escape, or you need a doctor.
  • Trouble listening/hearing, sometimes while feeling as though your ears are plugged.
  • Overwhelming fear – a level of anxiety that can convince you of something terrible.
  • Depersonalization, also known as feeling as though you're watching yourself.
  • Feelings of going crazy or that your mind is failing you.
  • Nausea and stomach discomfort, possibly with pain.
  • Head pressure as though your head is being squeezed.
  • Pressing need to urinate or defecate.
  • Trouble holding your head up.

You may not experience all of these symptoms at once either, and each one may cause various degrees of severity. You may also feel as though there is no way that it is an anxiety attack. Anxiety attacks and panic attacks are often so severe for people, that it causes tremendous health anxiety – many people develop a degree of health anxiety that causes symptoms to worsen, and a significant fear of the symptoms coming back.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/attacks/symptoms-and-signs

TattedReader
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM
and you're a bitch. and I can see why your daughter probably has emotional issues

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:20 AM
I had my first anxiety attack several years ago. I was working on the computer and all the sudden I had a sharp pain up the back of myneck followed by a heat rush. My vision blurred and I couldn't breathe. I managed to get myself to the emergency room but upon getting there I then was too afraid to walk in because I couldn't/didn't even really know what or how to explain what I was feeling. The next two weeks things got worse because I was so afraid I would panic again, I was making myself panic. Long story short I did talk with my doctor and I too was under more stress than I've ever been and miserable in my marriage. On that note I did start making changes to reduce my stress factors. So hang in there it can and will get better.
mommyx2-2006
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:41 AM
Panic/Anxiety DO is not "made up" yes you are having a panic attack. And with the way you explain your job until you are put on medication or find anither job you'll keep having them. I have them everyday and its not fun. I'm sorry your going through this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)