Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For anyone whos had an anxiety attack

Posted by   + Show Post

Could you tell me what it feels like? I have been having rough weeks at work lately, but after getting talk to twice about how unapproachable I am and no one liking my presence there, I talk only to the new MA, patients, and the doctor I work with. Now I'm noticing the days I go to work I have sharp chest pain and difficulty breathing before work, or if I'm irritated. For example today, I had chest pain when I woke up for work and while driving to work. The pain went away by the time I was there for 2 hours. When I got home, I found my kids were gone (they were supposed to go with my mom tomorrow) and my lazy husband sitting there, waiting for me to get home to have me take him to the movies. When I went in the room and passed out, he then takes my car and leaves until I wake up. I didn't say a word to him about it, but it angered me so much because he knows not to take my car. He has his own car that he didn't keep up. I'm now sitting here angry and noticed I can't breath again and have sharp chest pain on the left side (near my heart). Is this a panic attack or should I be going to a hospital?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
janel09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:32 AM

Could that be it? I have no problem talking to patients. It's my co-workers, and bosses I have a problem talking to. For example, my boss asked me during my six month review, "Are you always this quiet?" because during the review I said nothing. I do have the feeling that no one is listening to me, not because I sound stupid, but because my words are worth nothing. I've been harassed at my job now for the past 6 months regarding my breaks for pumping. After showing them the law, bring HR into the conversation, and getting a disciplanary action for taking a break to pump, I gave up pumping at work. I keep a manual pump in the car for before or after work. I also stopped eating at work, so I don't take a lunch at all. This is so they can never say I wasn't on the floor doing my job anymore. So in an 8-hour time frame, I will eat tic-tacs or chew gum to avoid confrontation about my breaks. I don't trust anyone there anymore because 2 weeks before I was reported on taking a break, my co-workers and I came to an agreement if we did something the other didn't like, we would come to that person. So they basically lied to me. I was completely blindsided when I was reprimanded. Then, for some unknown reason, the supervisor felt she needed to kick me when I was down. She pulled me into her office and said I wasn't approachable. I'm not friendly. I'm distant. There's something wrong with me. I need mental help and referred me to the company therapist. I declined the offer, went into the bathroom, and cried mumbling, "Why can't they just leave me alone?" I will now say hi and bye, ask if they need any help, and that's it. I feel if I say something out of line, I will get pulled back into the office again. But for some reason, it feels like people are trying to get me to say something negative. For instance, the front desk clerk was talking about how terrible the temp front desk clerk was when she was there. She called her fat, stupid, and said she can't do her job. Then she asked me about my opinion of her. I said nothing, because I don't know what to say. This is long... sorry but this is the stuff that makes my chest hurt. My doctor gave me Paxil, but I won't take it because when I had depression before the thought of taking pills for it made me worse. It made me feel like I was crazy so more depressed. Last time therapy worked for me, but I past my old therapist office to see it's gone.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Its sounds like you may have a social anxiety disorder. I have that also. I really hate talking to people I do not know and I really dont care to get to know them. When a lady in front of me at the grocery store tries to strike up a convo, my heart starts pounding and I get very anxious, I pretend I forgot something and just move to a line at the other end...(yeah its that bad)...I do not answer the door if Im not expecting some, My DH has to do all the communicating with anyone who calls for anything. I talk to my mom about once a month and occasionally speak to my DH grandma, but thats it. 

Its this constant fear of embarrassing myself...like when I walk away I always think to myself "They are judging me right now, I know they are"...I usually say something in my head before I let it come out of my mouth, and then after I say it I whisper it or say it over again in my head to make sure it came out right and I didnt make myself look stupid.

Believe it or not you ladies are the only adult interaction that I have besides my DH, he is the only person that has ever made me feel comfortable...I love him so much..lol..Its easy for me to talk online, but in person, Im a mess.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.htm

Quoting janel09:

Thank you. I read it, but I don't feel like I'm anxious over anything. I hate work, so my chest hurts when I wake up on a work day. My husband does stupid things, my chest hurts. The weird thing is (please don't judge me on this)I started cutting again after 5 years because of my boss telling me there's something wrong with me because I don't talk to anyone at work. People are always yelling at me, telling me what I'm not doing right. Even so, I stopped completely, again. I just don't respond when someone makes me angry, or feel bad about myself. That's when the chest pain started.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

Here ya go mama. This is the reference page I used that convinced me I needed to see my doctor.

mommieof3_752
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:48 AM

This could be a form of social anxiety. I do not take meds either, just the vicodin for the chest pain and head ache. (I wrote you another reply about the migraines).

Just google Social Anxiety Treatment                  (insert city and state). It should give you some doctors that can help you, or someone that can help you learn to control it better without the meds. 

I learned that I have to challenge my triggers...its a prosess and will take a while. You can do thing that make it a little better and easier to deal with.

Quoting janel09:

Could that be it? I have no problem talking to patients. It's my co-workers, and bosses I have a problem talking to. For example, my boss asked me during my six month review, "Are you always this quiet?" because during the review I said nothing. I do have the feeling that no one is listening to me, not because I sound stupid, but because my words are worth nothing. I've been harassed at my job now for the past 6 months regarding my breaks for pumping. After showing them the law, bring HR into the conversation, and getting a disciplanary action for taking a break to pump, I gave up pumping at work. I keep a manual pump in the car for before or after work. I also stopped eating at work, so I don't take a lunch at all. This is so they can never say I wasn't on the floor doing my job anymore. So in an 8-hour time frame, I will eat tic-tacs or chew gum to avoid confrontation about my breaks. I don't trust anyone there anymore because 2 weeks before I was reported on taking a break, my co-workers and I came to an agreement if we did something the other didn't like, we would come to that person. So they basically lied to me. I was completely blindsided when I was reprimanded. Then, for some unknown reason, the supervisor felt she needed to kick me when I was down. She pulled me into her office and said I wasn't approachable. I'm not friendly. I'm distant. There's something wrong with me. I need mental help and referred me to the company therapist. I declined the offer, went into the bathroom, and cried mumbling, "Why can't they just leave me alone?" I will now say hi and bye, ask if they need any help, and that's it. I feel if I say something out of line, I will get pulled back into the office again. But for some reason, it feels like people are trying to get me to say something negative. For instance, the front desk clerk was talking about how terrible the temp front desk clerk was when she was there. She called her fat, stupid, and said she can't do her job. Then she asked me about my opinion of her. I said nothing, because I don't know what to say. This is long... sorry but this is the stuff that makes my chest hurt. My doctor gave me Paxil, but I won't take it because when I had depression before the thought of taking pills for it made me worse. It made me feel like I was crazy so more depressed. Last time therapy worked for me, but I past my old therapist office to see it's gone.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

Its sounds like you may have a social anxiety disorder. I have that also. I really hate talking to people I do not know and I really dont care to get to know them. When a lady in front of me at the grocery store tries to strike up a convo, my heart starts pounding and I get very anxious, I pretend I forgot something and just move to a line at the other end...(yeah its that bad)...I do not answer the door if Im not expecting some, My DH has to do all the communicating with anyone who calls for anything. I talk to my mom about once a month and occasionally speak to my DH grandma, but thats it. 

Its this constant fear of embarrassing myself...like when I walk away I always think to myself "They are judging me right now, I know they are"...I usually say something in my head before I let it come out of my mouth, and then after I say it I whisper it or say it over again in my head to make sure it came out right and I didnt make myself look stupid.

Believe it or not you ladies are the only adult interaction that I have besides my DH, he is the only person that has ever made me feel comfortable...I love him so much..lol..Its easy for me to talk online, but in person, Im a mess.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/social_anxiety_support_symptom_causes_treatment.htm

Quoting janel09:

Thank you. I read it, but I don't feel like I'm anxious over anything. I hate work, so my chest hurts when I wake up on a work day. My husband does stupid things, my chest hurts. The weird thing is (please don't judge me on this)I started cutting again after 5 years because of my boss telling me there's something wrong with me because I don't talk to anyone at work. People are always yelling at me, telling me what I'm not doing right. Even so, I stopped completely, again. I just don't respond when someone makes me angry, or feel bad about myself. That's when the chest pain started.

Quoting mommieof3_752:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

Here ya go mama. This is the reference page I used that convinced me I needed to see my doctor.

kjoarcik
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM
Wow. I hope you never have to experience one. You need to learn some empathy.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:55 AM
I used to feel just like that when I was heavily stressed a few years ago. You need to calm down because stress kills. I had one incident where I thought I was having a heart attack and was in so much pain and couldn't move for a couple of hours on the sofa. It was terrible. I never got it checked but I think I'd be dead if it was a heart attack. Just chill out or go see a doctor.
Beauty91805
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM
Right? I wish they were made up.

Quoting kjoarcik:

Wow. I hope you never have to experience one. You need to learn some empathy.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

neva_eva_always
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Sounds like what I have when the ER tells me it's an anxiety attack don't go for the anxiety attack I go when I think I'm having a heart attack but they never check my heart. I think they take my age into consideration and last time they asked if I was suicidal and/or did any drugs. I've never done a drug in my life and wanted to give them a piece of my mind but it would've made me feel worse.

Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Anxiety/panic attacks to me are I start hyperventilating my chest feels like a giant knot I'm paranoid literally about everything and then I tend to pass out. Please get help.
lullaby572
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM

yikes I would definitely tell your doctor about any sharp pains your having especially near your heart. Well everyone's different, but i have panic disorder and severe anxiety and my symptoms include fast heart beat, heat flashes, swallowing hard, sometimes dizzy, feeling the need to sit down, loosing my breathe, unable to eat, crying involved sometimes. sweaty palms, light headed, dizzy... the list goes on and I think it is worse if i havent eaten. I also can get a little paranoid if Im around classmates or coworkers because to me if feels like my whole body is weak and falling apart, but surprisingly people have no idea whats going on. So i just pop half a xanax at a time, sit there and wait for it to pass.

but really, please do yourself some more research and ask your doctor dearheart. best of luck

Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM
When i get them, i feel like Im dying. My heart races, my chest tightens, i begin hyperventilating, i go into a cold sweat and I get light headed. Every time (which is pretty often), i really think i am dying. The first couple times my husband would freak, now he just tries to calm me down
mamakat070812
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Clammy hands, feeling as if I couldn't catch my breath, chest pain, racing heart, shaking... That was my most severe anxiety attack and I had the doctors convinced o was having a heart attack at 18... Lol the ran all kinds of test and sent me home with valium. Now I get them a little less severe, I dont take any medication I just breathe through them and tell myself that IM IN CONTROL not the anxiety!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured