Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For anyone whos had an anxiety attack

Posted by   + Show Post

Could you tell me what it feels like? I have been having rough weeks at work lately, but after getting talk to twice about how unapproachable I am and no one liking my presence there, I talk only to the new MA, patients, and the doctor I work with. Now I'm noticing the days I go to work I have sharp chest pain and difficulty breathing before work, or if I'm irritated. For example today, I had chest pain when I woke up for work and while driving to work. The pain went away by the time I was there for 2 hours. When I got home, I found my kids were gone (they were supposed to go with my mom tomorrow) and my lazy husband sitting there, waiting for me to get home to have me take him to the movies. When I went in the room and passed out, he then takes my car and leaves until I wake up. I didn't say a word to him about it, but it angered me so much because he knows not to take my car. He has his own car that he didn't keep up. I'm now sitting here angry and noticed I can't breath again and have sharp chest pain on the left side (near my heart). Is this a panic attack or should I be going to a hospital?

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

It's impossible to say, though the circumstances under when it happens could be regarded as suspicious of a physical-medical problem, it also could be typical of something as minor as heartburn.   Or not.

But that's why you need to see a doctor.   I'd recommend you see a doctor about it - sooner rather than later.

Anxiety attacks are peculiar critters.   They can happen right during a stressful moment, sure, but quite often they just pop up out of nowhere, for seemingly no reason at all.   

I'd recommend that at work, you find out what makes people think you're unapproachable, and work on that.  Things like that can be fixed, though it is difficult to slap a smile on your face and greet every request with glad cries if you're miserable or suffering from depression.  

If you are snappish or irritable at work, eep in mind that irritability at work is one of the key signs of depression.

I've talked to people who were told that for reasons as trivial as they usually frowned when focusing on paperwork - they actually were approachable, but an expression they adopted out of habit put people off.  

On the other hand the stress in your home life may be enough that it's spilling over at work - you may be snapping at people irritably or be unresponsive to people's requests.   Once you know why that happens, it gets easier to address.

For example, you can have a 'transition activity' that you make a routine before (and even after) work  - a few moments when you very consciously put aside all the troubles of home, so you can actually make work a refuge, rather than a place where worries from home spill over and ruin your day.  

You can repeat a key phrase to yourself ('I'm going to work, and nothing's going to interfere with that', or 'time to think about work').

That routine can be as simple as a walk in a park or a few minutes of yoga style meditation(shown to reduce stress signs in the body).   Some people listen to favorite songs on the car CD player, exercise is a great way to put aside your troubles for a few hours too.

It helps too, if work is a place where you succeed.   Find out why someone said you were unapproachable, and turn that around.   Remember, it can be as simple as some unconscious body language.   One friend who was 'unapproachable' simply put a dish of candy and low cal snacks on her desk.   All of a sudden she was approachable (LOL - humans are simple creatures).  Another gal I knew found that all she had to do was look up from her work more quickly and focus on the person - with a brief smile and direct gaze.   

Getting on with people at work is a technique and a skill  like a good golf swing or an even basting stitch on a sewing project - NOT  a fixed unchangeable feature of your personality.   All it takes is practice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM
I have shortness of breath, chest tightness, I get shaky and feel like I am going to start crying and won't be able to stop.
neva_eva_always
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I hope shes older cause with a heartless mom like you well read  about you as ignoring the symptoms cause they were in here head after she dies.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

mommysangelface
by Emerald Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Eyeroll

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter says she has anxiety attacks, I think they're just made up things honestly. just control your emotions and get over it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Sometimes but not always. Usually feels like a wave of adrenaline that starts at the top of my head and washes over my whole body. If I feel it in my legs and feet, I know it's going to be a bad one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yeah, the numbness in my arms, and when it's really bad, my legs.    I think that and the dizziness is caused by my hyperventilating.  Do you hyperventilate or no?

Quoting Anonymous:

Weight on my chest, rapid heartbeat, numbness in my hands, and dizziness.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yes, when it gets to my feet, it's a bad one.  Luckily I have not had that happen since going on Wellburin.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes but not always. Usually feels like a wave of adrenaline that starts at the top of my head and washes over my whole body. If I feel it in my legs and feet, I know it's going to be a bad one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh yeah, the numbness in my arms, and when it's really bad, my legs.    I think that and the dizziness is caused by my hyperventilating.  Do you hyperventilate or no?

Quoting Anonymous:

Weight on my chest, rapid heartbeat, numbness in my hands, and dizziness.

Stefono
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Go get checked out!shouting

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Aaaaaaand the typical moronic Anon response.

Quoting Anonymous:

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

It's probably anxiety.  But get it checked out if you want.  I felt very anxious and like I couldn't think straight.  I'd be sick and throw up before I went to work.  I couldn't concentrate on anything but what was scaring me.  I didn't have pain but some do I think.  For peace of mind you can go see the doctor.

chaslee
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:02 AM

It sounds like a panic attack, but any time you feel sharp chest pains and/or shortness of breath you should have it checked out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)