Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

melatonin for preschoolers?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies

i honestly feel like a total ass even considering this but i am at the end of my rope. my 4 year old just gives us hell at night. up and down and screaming and kicking and basically waking up the whole house and making everyone miserable. if you have used melatonin does it actually work? have you noticed any side effects?

he does this because he does not want to sleep in his own bed, so we started allowing him to sleep on the couch and that was fine for about a week and now hes pulling the same thing all over again and we are out of places to let him sleep. since he was a baby he has fought his sleep- kicked, screamed, pinched etc. we co-slept and i would rock him to sleep and this was every night for us. i always thought he would grow out of it but obviously that has yet to happen and i just need a way to get him to sleep. we have other children in the house who are kept up, me and my husband are kept up and my husband has work very early in the morning, i am beginning to lose my cool with him pulling this night after night after night. its just not fair. 

now i have tried sitting in with him, letting him sleep in other rooms, rocking him (yes i know its stupid at his age but i tried) letting him go to sleep with a movie, i have even tried the walk out and let him cio it out but he is relentless. he will scream for hours upon hours until he passes out from pure exaustion. in the meantime no one else has gotten a good nights sleep. i have talked to his pedi and he says that he is being typical, pushing boundaries etc. he is healthy and will tell you he does this because he just doesnt want to go to sleep. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TaughtTot
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I have used it and for some reason the hormonal affects on me cause spotting inbetween my periods. Its very odd, I don't use it I don't get spotting

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM

It works. Start with a 1 mg tablet and if not asleep in half hour give another  one.  I give my kid a 3 mg tablet. My pediatrician ok'd it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:18 AM

LAST resort...and I know it's tiring Mama but it's our kids so try try try to tire him out more in the day and keep a a CALM and CONSISTENT night time routine! My 4 year old was always in our bed and pretty much half the week I would let him stay up and have "movie night" til like 11-12...then expect him to crash the next day at 9 for school..It just doesnt work and they are so little they get mixed up and confused. Now its a light snack while we read a story in the bed, brush teeth, and lights out. One thing that worked wonders for me was this...I tuck him in then say Ok Mommy will be back to check on you in 3 minutes but you have to stay in your bed...then i do at exactly 3 min, then I say ok 4 mins this time, then 5. 9  out of then he is asleep by 4 or 5...I wont lie some nights he just stays up for 2 hours in there horsing around but WHATEVER....lol the rule is bed time means you are in the bed...If he says he cant sleep tell him thats fine but he has to stay in bed until he is ready to...and yes tire them out in the day and they will be passingout by bed time. And nothing you are trying is stupid..you can rock your little guy all you want LOL

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Yes it works and no, and we have zero side effects.  Although we were put on it by his doctor.

Honestly the problem is he has learned that this behavior gets what he wants.  You cave and try to cater to him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I use it but I made sure I talked with the Pedi first. Gave her my dayghter's sleeping issue, took me a year to finally listen. She has slept wonderful and has had no night terrors. I use the drops (Natrol's) found at Walmart.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:21 AM

i like that idea and will definitely be trying it! sadly i dont think lack of activity is the issue- we live on a ranch and he is always running, jumping, riding his little 4-wheeler, playing in the sand pile, the kid is super active. his endurance is higher than ours which is why he outlasts us at night! he isnt in school yet so we do allow him a later bedtime so that he can have the chance to get tired but its like he cant submit to his own fatigue. of my 3 kids he is the only one who ever fought like that as an infant also.

Quoting Anonymous:

LAST resort...and I know it's tiring Mama but it's our kids so try try try to tire him out more in the day and keep a a CALM and CONSISTENT night time routine! My 4 year old was always in our bed and pretty much half the week I would let him stay up and have "movie night" til like 11-12...then expect him to crash the next day at 9 for school..It just doesnt work and they are so little they get mixed up and confused. Now its a light snack while we read a story in the bed, brush teeth, and lights out. One thing that worked wonders for me was this...I tuck him in then say Ok Mommy will be back to check on you in 3 minutes but you have to stay in your bed...then i do at exactly 3 min, then I say ok 4 mins this time, then 5. 9  out of then he is asleep by 4 or 5...I wont lie some nights he just stays up for 2 hours in there horsing around but WHATEVER....lol the rule is bed time means you are in the bed...If he says he cant sleep tell him thats fine but he has to stay in bed until he is ready to...and yes tire them out in the day and they will be passingout by bed time. And nothing you are trying is stupid..you can rock your little guy all you want LOL

countrymom0707
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:22 AM
I had to start my daughter on melatonin when she was 5 because of a housefire we had in the middle of the night and she couldn't sleep and she continued to take it until she was put on some prescribed meds for sleeping. So I will be the last to say anything about that but on the other hand my sister has done the same thing with her two boys and when she took one of her boys to the dr last week she told him that there are published medical clinicals they show the melatonin causes something neurological to happen in the childs brain. I am not trying to scare you or anything but he gave her web sites to research it, it hit me and her pretty hard since we have had our kids on it since they were old enough to take it.
jimmers920
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

ask a doctor before giving him anything. I am a nurse and you would be surprised at how many over the counter herbal supplements can react in people-and especially with a child ask a doctor first! as for the behavior i suggest dvr-ing every supernanny rerun ever and using all her strategies. i have a five and three year old and i know how bad a fit can b when they are that big, but the way i'd handle it is to get on his level, look him in the eye and firmly tell him he is going to sleep in his bed. and no matter how many times he gets up u just wordlessly put him back untol he passes out. it is hard but within a week he will be going to bed when he knows he wont get out or get any special attention for his behavior. also make sure you have a bedtime ritual. with mine its time for bed they brush teeth and pick out stories and then i read and off to bed. every night the same thing, and i never have problems. good luck i know it is hard.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:23 AM

i cant deny that i do cave too often. but its not because of my own lack of strength its becuase i just want him to shut up so his sisters and father can finally get some sleep. its causing real issues in our household at this point. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Yes it works and no, and we have zero side effects.  Although we were put on it by his doctor.

Honestly the problem is he has learned that this behavior gets what he wants.  You cave and try to cater to him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:24 AM

no melatonin just get into a good routine...that stuff can cause long term problems that are not worth it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN