Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Toe walking?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My 16 month old has recently doing this all the time. I'm a little concerned. Is it normal?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Don't be, there are lots of reasons kids toe walk and it's fairly normal. Both my kids toe walk and I still do it when I'm barefoot. The benefit is that I can run a marathon in high heels. ;)

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

thatgirlNH
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

It can be normal, but if it lasts for a long time, definitely mention it to someone. We were referred to Easter Seals for eval. for DS.. he has been toe walking since he learned to walk =/ He can't walk any other way for the most part, it's been very concerning for us! I don't know why he does it. In the beginning though I read and was told it can be normal. Try putting shoes on all the time, makes it harder and he might forget about it pretty much.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Mine walked on tip toes for a while when they started walking then began to walk normal when it became more natural for them.
HappySquirrel
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
My son did that for a long time. If he never, ever puts his heels down and becomes three or so and you've never seen him flat footed, it becomes an issue then. I used to work in orthotics.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM
It can be. It can also be a red flag. How is your baby's eye contact? Does he/she talk? Does he/she hand flap or make odd movements with his/her hands or arms? Do you have any other behavior that concerns you?
Mel0dy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It can be normal. I would just bring it up to his Doctor next time you see him :) 

EmilyG10
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Same here expect the high heels part

Quoting Kitschy:

Don't be, there are lots of reasons kids toe walk and it's fairly normal. Both my kids toe walk and I still do it when I'm barefoot. The benefit is that I can run a marathon in high heels. ;)

mrsjksimmons
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yes. I'm 25 years old and have been doing it off and on my whole life. My son does it too. It's fine. For the longest time, that is only how my son walked. lol Cutest darn thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
The only thing that I can thing of is that her motor skills are behind. She doesn't know how to stack things, or feed herself. But her vocabulary is pretty extensive

Quoting Anonymous:

It can be. It can also be a red flag. How is your baby's eye contact? Does he/she talk? Does he/she hand flap or make odd movements with his/her hands or arms? Do you have any other behavior that concerns you?
Kitschy
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Do you ever do calf stretches? I stand on the edge of a the stairs with the balls of my feet and press my heels downward towards the floor. It's helped a lot. I used to horseback ride and my muscles were so short due to toe walking that I had trouble keeping form on the horse with my feet in the stirrups. They showed me that exercise and I still do it from time to time. It's made walking flat footed more comfortable for me.

Quoting EmilyG10:

Same here expect the high heels part

Quoting Kitschy:

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)