Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I getting in over my head?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
  • 20 Replies
My daughter is 22 months old she is a high/special needs baby but she is extremely smart and is interested in her potty and hates diapers I have gotten her a potty on her first birthday so that she could see it play with it and get to know her potty before we really started training well lately she has been going on her potty has learned the sign for potty and is happy when she goes as soon as she sits she pees or poops and we cheer. Well my parents think I'm crazy and so does my ex and his family sayin she isn't ready and doesn't understand 0.o

Are they right??
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this
No, they are far from right, kids learn when they learn and congrats to you to letting her learn and being supportive!
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Ummm no they are not.
She recognizes the need to go, communicates the need clearly, holds the body function, then goes on the potty. I'd say she's ready. Might take some time to train her for night time but I'd say she's ready.
strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
If shes learning she understands:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittyprincess604
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM
If she's showing signs that she's ready and communicating it, then they are totally wrong.
MamaSwan001
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Acutually she is holding it at night and durring nap times and was going to a corner to squat when she has to use the restroom. That's what made me reliaze why am I keeping her in diapers if she is ready?

Quoting bustybee:

Ummm no they are not.

She recognizes the need to go, communicates the need clearly, holds the body function, then goes on the potty. I'd say she's ready. Might take some time to train her for night time but I'd say she's ready.

Mudfishzgirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Sounds like she is ready. Hopefully they will see it and be supportive because it can be a big pain in the ass if she goes potty at one house and wears diapers at the other.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Then it should be no issue. I meant more - since she is so young - teaching her to get up in the middle of the night if she needs to go.

Quoting MamaSwan001:

Acutually she is holding it at night and durring nap times and was going to a corner to squat when she has to use the restroom. That's what made me reliaze why am I keeping her in diapers if she is ready?

Quoting bustybee:

Ummm no they are not.

Linagma03
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Keep up the good work! They are the ones with the problem. 

Why do they believe she doesn't understand if she is actually using the toilet? Do they think that she won't be able to understand anything? Do they think she doesn't understand the sign language also? Do they spend enough time with her to realize that she really does understand all of this stuff and that she may be a special needs child but she is smart? I am asking these questions because to be honest the way that you have written your post it sounds like they are ignorant of what she is capable of! 

MamaMay007
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I have 2 sons, one potty trained at 21 months and the other at 5 years.  It was really annoying when I would explain to babysitters that the baby was trained and the older was not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:32 PM

No, if she is going then she is ready

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN