Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how old for a phone?

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 26 Replies
How old would your kid have to be before you would consider getting them their own phone?

My daughter is 8 and thinks she needs one. Lol. No way kid, not yet. I'm curious what a good age is tho.
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VarelaClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM
My daughter got one at 10. She was a competitive dancer and we had to drop her off in other states at these huge conventions. We felt safer with her having a phone. What if she got separated from her team? Plus, it made it easier to find her when we got there to pick her up. We just got a phone for our oldest son a couple of months ago. He's 10. Around this age is when they become a little more independent. It makes me feek safer with them being able to contact me at any given moment.
jennbec1
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM
She isn't currently involved in any activities, but I think we are going to get her into dance classes now that I am working full time again. I would be more willing to consider it if she was involved in stuff like that and away from home a lot.
MommySal18
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:33 PM
I gave my son one for his 12th birthday as he started going on weekends away with clubs and swimming competitions so I felt a lot safer. Also he started walking home and getting the bus to and from school so I just felt more safe knowing he had contact with me. But 8 is way too young. My DS had a walkie talkie with the kid next door at 8
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM

My oldest two, 13 and 10, have them.  They had Fireflies for a year and have had regular cell phones for about 2 years. 

Onesecsmile
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I will wait until my son is 15 or 16. I got my first cell phone just before I turned 16... So he can wait!
kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM
All 3 of my kids got their 1st phone when they started middle school, so they were 11.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:39 PM

old enough to have a job to pay for one

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:40 PM

My sd had one at 6.

robyann
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

We've had the rule of no phone until they are 13. Now that I have grandkids, it seems the age is getting younger. I'd say when the child starts spending more time away from home. I do like the idea of being about to reach my child/grandchild anytime no matter where they are. 

Derpy
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I will be giving my kids their own phone on their 16th birthday,along with the ever so famous gift,a car.They are only 4 right now and 6 months,so they have a lonnng way to go,lol.

Far from normal.

Always am,Always will be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured