Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do they keep dying?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
My kids have found 3 turtles in the road at different times and they all died. They put them in a crate with food water and dirt. What are we doing wrong??
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Bump
sweet_ashes2209
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM
what kind of turtle?
CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I would find out what kind of turtles they are. Some are not land turtles & require a tank of water rather than a bunch of dirt. My dad kept a snapping turtle & a box turtle for the longest time & had an aquarium for them at his school. Then during the summer he had a large washtub he kept in the backyard full of water & some rocks for sunbathing. He fed it mealworms, crickets, & guppies.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Just a normal little turtle

Quoting sweet_ashes2209:

what kind of turtle?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:56 PM
My son said its a box turtle. He's 8. Not sure of his reliability but I will take a picture of the one we just for

Quoting CampClan:

I would find out what kind of turtles they are. Some are not land turtles & require a tank of water rather than a bunch of dirt. My dad kept a snapping turtle & a box turtle for the longest time & had an aquarium for them at his school. Then during the summer he had a large washtub he kept in the backyard full of water & some rocks for sunbathing. He fed it mealworms, crickets, & guppies.

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Rather than take a pic for us search pics of turtles online. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

My son said its a box turtle. He's 8. Not sure of his reliability but I will take a picture of the one we just for

Quoting CampClan:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM
3 moms liked this
You are keeping the turtles captive. Release them into the wild. When they are in the road you are suppose to either help it across or allow it to cross. Do not keep the turtle.
"If you find a terrapin on the road, pick it up gently and carry it across the road in the direction that it is already headed.  Terrapins have very mild dispositions and are not at all aggressive.  They do have remarkably strong hind legs equipped with large, sharp claws.  If picked up, terrapins will flail their legs wildly in panic, and an unaware person is likely to get scratched on the hands.  Be prepared!  If you do get scratched by the claws, don’t worry; the terrapins won’t give you any kind of disease as a result of handling them.  Do not under any circumstances drop a terrapin once you have picked it up — you are likely to injure it (and any eggs she may have inside her).

Do not under any circumstances attempt to take an adult or hatchling terrapin home for a pet because:
You are breaking the law!  Terrapins are absolutely protected from April 1 to November 1, and there are stiff fines for capturing terrapins by any means during this period or even having their eggs in you possession.  During the rest of the year, terrapins are hibernating and almost impossible to find.
Diamondback terrapins will almost certainly die in captivity because they do not naturally occur in freshwater, and most people do not have in their homes the necessary salt water aquaria, which are both very expensive and difficult to maintain."
unspecified42
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Leave the damn turtles alone!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Haha he ran away anyway

Quoting CampClan:

Rather than take a pic for us search pics of turtles online. LOL

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CampClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured