Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They F-ing Stole From Us!!!! UPDATE #2 IN BLUE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

Ok, so back story.  I'm not a huge fan of my SO's older brother.  He's just not the type of person I would be around if given a choice.  He's smelly, his teeth are rotting out of his skull and his character, to put it lightly, is questionable.  About 2 years ago, he got pulled over while driving on a suspended license (which he still does) and tried to tell the cop that he was my SO.  Turns out, the cop is a childhood buddy of my SO so knew it wasn't him.  To this day, the brother denies he did it, but we trust SO's buddy more than we trust his brother.

4th comes around.  SO's brother decides he wants to have a get together at his house to celebrate.  Cool, but I was hesitant to go.  They live in a very run-down trailer park, they have dogs that bark ALL THE TIME, the neighbors are loud and rude and they have no AC.  It was 102 F here on the 4th and I'm now 7 days away from my due date, so uncomfortable to begin with.  We decided that I would drive, that way if it all got to be too much, I could bow out and come back home.  Also, my boys are with my ex husband for the week.  The brother said something about not having the barbecue until later in the evening and only having so much food, so when my ex called to see if I wanted them (which I did desperately), I thought it would be best for them to go up with my ex to the fairgrounds and watch the fireworks instead of being around a bunch of weird people in a hot house and no food until about 9 pm.  I hated it, but I thought my kids would have more fun that way.

Well, about AN HOUR before the party is supposed to start, the brother decided he wanted to just bring the food and come here, to OUR house, instead.  Um, what?  I hadn't cleaned much and I really liked the idea of having a way out, but noooo, my SO says, "Sure!" without even talking to me about it first!  We had a pretty big fight about it actually.  My SO asked for an extra hour to help me clean, brother got pissy about it but eventually agreed.  Party time arrives and in walks the brother, his wife, her two kids and THREE OF THEIR F-ING FRIENDS!!!  I was sooooo mad I just about cried!  I could have had my kids come to see me since we were home (we live right next to the fairgrounds and can see the fireworks from our back porch) and if the brother can feed three of his kids' friends, why was it such a problem for MY KIDS to be there?

It was a fiasco.  The brother was drunk and burnt the hell out of the food, I couldn't eat it and ended up throwing what little I ate up and made myself a salad.  Then, didn't even think about it, but my purse was on the kitchen counter in the back.  I always keep it there.  That way I don't fricken lose it with these blasted pregnancy hormones making me stupid as hell.  I had $28 in my wallet.  Didn't even consider it, but I go today to get it so I can go to the store for stuff I needed for dinner and guess what?  It's GONE!  Nothing else is missing, just the money.  I looked EVERYWHERE for it.  Dumped my purse out, went through pants pockets, went through my wallet, my SO's wallet, nothing.  It's gone.  We had to go return some stuff that the brother left at our house when I finally had had enough and basically kicked everyone out (it was almost 1 am after all) and the 16 yr old is sitting there with his friend playing with his brand spanking new deck of Magic cards that, guess what?  Cost about $25 to get.  I looked at my SO, said, "Fix it." and went and sat in the car.  I was sooooooo mad!  I don't want any of them in my house again.  I HATE being stolen from!!!!!

What would you do?  Sorry for it being so long.  We just got home and I'm so mad I'm still shaking.

UPDATE

So my SO went to pick up his thieving nephew this morning just as he'd told his brother he'd be doing.  Guess what?  Kid conveniently spent the night somewhere else last night.  SO asked his brother, "Why would you let him go spend the night somewhere else when you knew I was coming to pick him up this morning?"  Brother said, "Well, I think you're being too harsh on him."  Um, he stole money out of my purse.  In our house.  Then he lied about it.  No.  We're not being too harsh to expect him to have consequences.  I told my SO that if it isn't fixed by the time my boys get home tonight, I'm calling the cops.  The brother still drives around with no license, no insurance on his vehicles and has drank and driven on more than one occasion.  He doesn't come to our house anymore after drinking and driving because I told him I'd report him the next time I saw him do it.  The brother thinks that he should just be able to pay us back and not make the kid work off the debt. What about the disrespect?  Not making the kid deal with the consequences won't fix the problem.  SO agrees now that his nephews won't be allowed in our house anymore.  He's fed up, too.  Ugg!

Update #2

So the kid never came around.  By 6:15, I'd made a call to the cops, saying that I'd been stolen from, made a report and they went over to the brother's house by 7.  By 9, the brother was blowing up my SO's phone saying it was "f-ed up" that I'd actually called the cops.  "Family doesn't do that, man."  Um, family isn't supposed to steal from pregnant/expecting family, either dip sh*t.  My SO agrees and basically said the same thing.  I guess the kid has been given a ticket and I've been given the option to drop the charges should he make amends to me before the court date.  I seriously doubt that will happen.  Yeah, it's not over much, but the kid still stole and he has to deal with the consequences.  Obviously his parents won't hold him accountable so someone has to.  SO is a little miffed that I went ahead and called the cops, but supports me in doing what I feel is right.  He's afraid it will cause a rift in his family that he doesn't really want.  I told him his brother and his kid caused it when the kid stole from me and the brother did not hold him accountable.  I firmly believe in following through with what I say I'm going to do.  Integrity is a virtue that is quickly fading in today's society and I won't let mine be the next victim all to keep things calm among "family."

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM

BUMP!

RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM
I'm sorry Mama. It really sucks that he stole from you. I would never let him in my house again either. I hope SO backs you up. Hugs
Cupcake_mama_22
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I would tell his brother he can pay me back and not come over ever again! My cousin stole from me, a straightener and some makeup, I told her exactly what I though. She isn't allowed in my house now and I stopped speaking to her exept at family gatherings. Your SO needs to tell his brother to pay you back and to be a man and apologize for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

BUMP!

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Call yourself lucky that the lesson only cost $28.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Guess the kid tried to say he "found it in the street".  My SO was pissed and told him that he'd be over to pick him up bright and early tomorrow morning to do manual labor at our house until he paid off the debt.  We've got lots to do since our DD is due in a week, too.  I'm going around and putting all the valuable stuff in the closet in my boys' room, which he will not be allowed to go into.  The brother just wanted to pay us back and SO said, "Nope, this little sh*t stole from us, HE'S gonna pay us back."

Quoting morrigan914:

Call yourself lucky that the lesson only cost $28.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, shit. If my s/o had a problem with MY kids being somewhere with me AND his family stole from AND he invited people to MY place without clearing it with me first, he would be MY new ex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

So had no problem with my kids being with me.  It was his brother that thought food "would be tight with all those kids".  I only have 2 boys, 10 and 8.  We fought pretty hard about him inviting people over without talking to me about it first and he agreed that he's in the wrong.  How does my SO have any control over if his brother's kids steal? 

Quoting acrogodess:

Well, shit. If my s/o had a problem with MY kids being somewhere with me AND his family stole from AND he invited people to MY place without clearing it with me first, he would be MY new ex.

acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

You knew your bil is shady, what makes you and your s/o think his nephews wouldn't be shady if that is the type of home he is being raised in?

Quoting Anonymous:

So had no problem with my kids being with me.  It was his brother that thought food "would be tight with all those kids".  I only have 2 boys, 10 and 8.  We fought pretty hard about him inviting people over without talking to me about it first and he agreed that he's in the wrong.  How does my SO have any control over if his brother's kids steal? 

Quoting acrogodess:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Guess it's hard for me to comprehend how someone could be so disrespectful.  SO and I do alright, we're comfortable, but with a new baby due soon, money is still something to be counted on.  SO didn't want to believe the nephew did it until he saw the cards and the wrappers still on the kitchen table at his brother's house.  I had a feeling since I found the money missing.  I kick myself for leaving my purse out, but seriously, who thinks someone is going to come in and just take money right out of their purse like that with 10 people, 5 of which were adults (SO's oldest brother was there, too) around?  I can honestly say I don't remember the kids being in the kitchen alone at all, but with the huge fight I had with SO right before they came, the fact that I honestly hate having company to begin with, that I don't like the shady brother very much and my already frazzled brain from the pregnancy, plus let's not forget that I was upset about not being able to see my kids when I wanted to, I really wasn't thinking about my purse. 

Quoting acrogodess:

You knew your bil is shady, what makes you and your s/o think his nephews wouldn't be shady if that is the type of home he is being raised in?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting acrogodess:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)