Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have been formula feeding ds for 5yrs!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Yup! Ds just turned 5 and is still on formula! Oh he eats regular food too, but I can't take him off formula. It has too many good nutrients in it for him that his body needs!

This is true. But my ds is fed formula via a feeding tube. He has a lot of food allergies requiring he be on a special hypoallergenic formula. He eats some regular food but not enough to sustain himself. He gets 100% of his needed nutrition from formula and any foods he eats is just bonus calories/nutrients for him. He's on his feeding tube 24hrs a day. I'm a mom grateful for formula. It's what keeps my son alive.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
no worries, another poster asked too. Hes been on this formula since he was one. He didnt get his tube til last year. Changing him even just to unflavored can upset his stomach. And he drinks it sometimes still too

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry he, and you, are having to go through this. But I don't understand...why does the formula have a flavor?

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

My mom got a gtube too but hers is to decompress her stomach. She has cancer and the tumors are strangling her gi tract. Totally sucks. But my son and her are "bonding" over it. He thinks its neat they match.

Quoting FlyingHottie:

I take care of my moms feeding tube during the week. 

What formula is he on?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Designed for kids 1-10yrs (however I know adults on it) old and its referred to as a prescription formula. Although they advertise now they are selling it on the shelves at some Wal-Mart's now in the formula aisle. However its $40 a can! Yikes!

Quoting tennisgal:

Is it just regular formula or is it designed for older kids with special needs??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM

my friends son was same way  she eventually  started using  the pediasure and ensure on him 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:24 AM
I doubt we can ever use pediasure cuz my sons milk allergy is too severe, but my hope is we can eventually get him on Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink.

Quoting Anonymous:

my friends son was same way  she eventually  started using  the pediasure and ensure on him 

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:25 AM

that is depressing.. 

my grandfather was on a nutrition supplement when he battled through cancer. he also did not make it. i didnt know infant formula was given to adults though! makes sense if there was any digestion problems. you could donate the unused formula to some toddlers in need? as long as it isnt expired.

i am thinking about giving my 2-year-old a toddler formula. she still breastfeeds, but i am worried i am losing my supply due to pregnancy. i hear that transitioning to regular milk is easier for a breastfed baby if they go on a toddler formula first. hope it works!

Quoting RiotousDigits:

many brands don't have an unflavored variety.  

before he died, my husband was on vanilla formula.  I still have almost 3 cases and have no idea what to do with it.

Quoting wolfybaby:

totally random question, but why is he using a flavored formula if he has a feeding tube? is there not too much sugar in the flavored kinds?

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

My mom got a gtube too but hers is to decompress her stomach. She has cancer and the tumors are strangling her gi tract. Totally sucks. But my son and her are "bonding" over it. He thinks its neat they match.

Quoting FlyingHottie:

What formula is he on?

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:29 AM

it's adult formula.  Kind of like super strength Ensure.  I've called around to see if I can donate it, but it's a prescription formula, so that throws a kink in things.  Such a waste.

Quoting wolfybaby:

that is depressing.. 

my grandfather was on a nutrition supplement when he battled through cancer. he also did not make it. i didnt know infant formula was given to adults though! makes sense if there was any digestion problems. you could donate the unused formula to some toddlers in need? as long as it isnt expired.

i am thinking about giving my 2-year-old a toddler formula. she still breastfeeds, but i am worried i am losing my supply due to pregnancy. i hear that transitioning to regular milk is easier for a breastfed baby if they go on a toddler formula first. hope it works!

Quoting RiotousDigits:

before he died, my husband was on vanilla formula.  I still have almost 3 cases and have no idea what to do with it.

Quoting wolfybaby:

totally random question, but why is he using a flavored formula if he has a feeding tube? is there not too much sugar in the flavored kinds?

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

Quoting FlyingHottie:

What formula is he on?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM

maybe the following will help you 

http://www.naturesone.com/pediasmart-soy/

https://www.youngliving.org/rs_ord_item_detail_popup.asp?ITEM_CODE=6300&IS_GUEST_SHOPPING_MODE=1&CC=

Quoting Anonymous:

I doubt we can ever use pediasure cuz my sons milk allergy is too severe, but my hope is we can eventually get him on Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink.

Quoting Anonymous:

wolfybaby
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM

why cant you donate prescription formula? maybe you can look on craigslist of a fb group. someone is bound to find it useful. good luck!

Quoting RiotousDigits:

it's adult formula.  Kind of like super strength Ensure.  I've called around to see if I can donate it, but it's a prescription formula, so that throws a kink in things.  Such a waste.

Quoting wolfybaby:

that is depressing.. 

Quoting RiotousDigits:

Quoting wolfybaby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

Quoting FlyingHottie:

What formula is he on?

FlyingHottie
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:31 AM

My mom is on isosource hn with fiber... 

My mom has an illness like ALS...

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

Quoting FlyingHottie:

What formula is he on?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM

i don't know if I can/can't, but I've been refused 4 times when looking for somewhere to donate.

i'll figure something out

Quoting wolfybaby:

why cant you donate prescription formula? maybe you can look on craigslist of a fb group. someone is bound to find it useful. good luck!

Quoting RiotousDigits:

Quoting wolfybaby:

that is depressing.. 

Quoting RiotousDigits:

Quoting wolfybaby:

Quoting Anonymous:

Elecare Jr. Vanilla

Quoting FlyingHottie:

What formula is he on?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)