Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When did your LO start talking?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

My son is an incredibly verbal child. He could speak in sentences around 16 months old....granted, they were broken sentences, often like, "Mama, juice cup me!"

Well my daughter is 16 months old, and she doesn't say very many words. She says mama, dada or sometimes da, and bubba for her brother. She tries to say bye bye, ball, night night, and I love you...but I'm not sure anyone other than dh, my son and I would understand her.

I'm not really concerned at this point, because I know kids all develop at different paces. I can just really see the difference. But my dh is getting worried about it, so I was just curious as to when other babies started talking.

I will add that my dd is able to understand so much, too. She surprises us often with what she understands, she just can't say it herself. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cutebaby06
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
2 months old.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM
My dd(6) didn't say complete, comprehensible sentences until she was 3.

Her Pedi wanted to have her evaluated by a speech therapist, but I decided to work with her myself.

She won't shut up now, and reads at a 3rd grade level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM
My oldest started talking at 5 mos. It was crazy. Real words not just mama dada. My second was about 18 mos and same with my 3rd. My niece didn't talk until she was 3 yrs old. She did her own sign language before that. She and my oldest are only a year apart and are both taking AP classes so I really don't think it makes a huge difference when they start doing anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Quoting KendallsMommee:

My dd(6) didn't say complete, comprehensible sentences until she was 3.

Her Pedi wanted to have her evaluated by a speech therapist, but I decided to work with her myself.

She won't shut up now, and reads at a 3rd grade level.

That's great that she's doing so well! Thanks for the reply.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

My oldest started talking at 5 mos. It was crazy. Real words not just mama dada. My second was about 18 mos and same with my 3rd. My niece didn't talk until she was 3 yrs old. She did her own sign language before that. She and my oldest are only a year apart and are both taking AP classes so I really don't think it makes a huge difference when they start doing anything.

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference either. My brother couldn't talk until he was two, due to severe ear infections. My dh is worried it has something to do with our dd's ears, but I think she's just not ready to talk a lot at this point.

Thank you for the reply.

Anonandon
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM
My daughter was a little slow talking. We started working with a teacher and a speech therapist after she turned 2 and she has done so well! The program down here only goes through age 3 (then they send you to the school district), and her speech therapist said there's no need to send her to the district once she hits 3, she's right on track and even ahead in some areas :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
5 months?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM
I really don't know why my niece started talking so late. She has no problems hearing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not sure it makes a huge difference either. My brother couldn't talk until he was two, due to severe ear infections. My dh is worried it has something to do with our dd's ears, but I think she's just not ready to talk a lot at this point.

Thank you for the reply.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM

My older two didn't start talking until they were 3. Then it was like they'd been talking forever. Full sentences, etc. My 4 year old will mimic sounds & a few words or phrases, but he doesn't really talk. My 2 year old still speaks mostly gibberish, but she has been counting lately lol. In English & in Spanish :D

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonandon:

My daughter was a little slow talking. We started working with a teacher and a speech therapist after she turned 2 and she has done so well! The program down here only goes through age 3 (then they send you to the school district), and her speech therapist said there's no need to send her to the district once she hits 3, she's right on track and even ahead in some areas :-)

Good for your dd! That's great!

I am taking her to see her pedi for a well check in two weeks because we had a scheduling conflict for her 15 month well check, I figured I could ask him if I should do something like what you did.

Thank you for the reply.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)