Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

i think my son is...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
On "the spectrum" he just recently turned 4. He has never grown out if the separation anxiety phase, gets very very thrown off by anything out of our ordinary routines, has major issues sleeping, avoids eye contact often, has always repeated himself more than seems normal based on my other kids, he is very communicative with us but not much with others, very uncomfortable in around new people or crowds, has extreme meltdowns over things none of myoothers have, meticulous, does have some rituals of sorts, and some definite sensory issues. I don't want anyone to know, I don't want him labeled! He is incredibly smart, actually of my 5 he seem the most intelligent (at this age) but I don't want him labeled. He loves other kids once he gets to know them but sometimes they don't like him, he's very imaginative- it seems kids his age find him a bit weird sometimes but then others don't. He is registered for pre k but I'm seriously considering keeping him out another year and doing some homeschooling to see how he does then reevaluate his social skills next year to decide on sending him to public school or just homeschooling him. My greatest fear is he will have the anxiety and meltdowns in school and be miserable, or they will want to medicate or separate him. Anyone have advise?
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:17 AM

BUMP

I have no clue....there are moms on here that can give you some great advise

elitish
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Mine is. I refuse to label him or Medicate him. He does just fine. We did prek like any normal kid and it isn't until elementary that we're seeing some issues, but they are manageable.
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My brother is on the spectrum. You're doing him a great disservice by not having him diagnosed. My brother wasn't diagnosed until he was closer to 8 because none of the doctors were sure what it was. Because of that, there was a huge delay in him getting the kinds of speech therapy and general therapy that he needs as well as the meds to stabilize his moods. Nobody knew what was wrong so nobody gave him the help he needed. His life might be a lot different if he had. It sounds like your son might be high funcioning if he is autistic. If that's the case, it is likely that nobody would even notice that he's anything other than socially awkward. I have a friend who was perfectly normal to me, just a little quirky. Turns out he in on the spectrum, but is high functioning. Either way, you are only hurting him by not getting him diagnosed and getting the help he needs.

neva_eva_always
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM

You should talk to your pedatrician. Autistic kids do and can have high iq's they just function differently.

KGreen75
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:24 AM
Label him? If he is autistic, you need to know. Early intervention is KEY to moving forward.

Why are you so worried about a label? At the end of the day he is still the same child you gave birth to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Racer15
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:25 AM
It isn't about "the label". Its about figuring out why he behaves the way he does, and then being able to get him help. The earlier you get treatment, the better off he will be. Ignoring it won't do him any kind of good.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Autistic is a very loaded term right now. I actually, based upon research, think its more asperger like in behavior. I just would hate to have a label follow him forever, what if he is able to function and overcome? It's still there.

Quoting KGreen75:

Label him? If he is autistic, you need to know. Early intervention is KEY to moving forward.

Why are you so worried about a label? At the end of the day he is still the same child you gave birth to.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM
I understand why you don't want him labelled but if I'd been diagnosed when I was first reccommened at age 6 instead of 20 I might have had an easier time of some things.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM
I'm certainly not ignoring him-- we work with him constantly to help the issues and teach coping skills.

Quoting Racer15:

It isn't about "the label". Its about figuring out why he behaves the way he does, and then being able to get him help. The earlier you get treatment, the better off he will be. Ignoring it won't do him any kind of good.
imandia4
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 4:30 AM
He could benefit from going to school. Per k is half a day. If he goes he can be diagnosed with it then you can use the Time he is in school to learn how to teach to him while he is home. Also learn how he thinks. A good teacher can tell you the way his brain works.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured