Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sneaking food...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
My son is 5 years old. He is 52 inches tall and weighs 82 lbs ( down from 87). He has adhd and sleeps less than anyone I know ( 5 maybe 6 hours a night)

He is in baseball and plays outside 2 hours a day .. after I get home from work. I dont keep junk food in the house and I always keep fruit and veggies around. Im pregnant and thats all im craving so we have more around than we have ever had.

Because he doesnt sleep like he should his metabolism is low and his appetite high. I have talked with his pediatrician about this who just says to give him melatonin. I have.. it does not work!!

At meal times he doesnt eat full neals. Claiming he is not hungry. We know this is a case of being over stimulated or preoccupied.

Anyways.. the point of my post. He sneaks food at night.

Last week it was a pineapple. I had cut up a fresh pineapple and put it in the fridge for breakfast. The next day it was gone and the container was in the sink.

2 weeks ago it was a can of fruit. The kid actually took the can opener up to his room. I didnt even notice the fruit gone I just noticed the can opener missing.

Tonight it was pickles. He asked for a pickle around 8. I gave him one. At 9 he went to bed. By 930 he was screaming that he is hungry. Problem is he has always used food as a way to avoid sleeping. We have been working viciously with the nutrition, exercise and wellness clinic to get the weight off. He knows that eating at night is not only unhealthy but dangerous. He wants to be healthy so he can " run as fast as the flash and be as strong as superman ".

I have struggled with my weight my entire life. Even being pregnant I am trying to lose weight. ( with my obs blessing of course) . I used to eat at night as well and had to work at stopping the habit.

He does this about once a week, always waiting us out until we think he is sleepin and go to bed or he wakes up in the middle of the night and does it.

All of the food in the cabinets are too high to reach now but the fridge is a problem. He has figured out the locks.

I dont know what to do anymore.. or how to even punish for this. I dont want to cause a complex or body issues in my 5 year old. He has such low self esteem stemming from social delays.

He has an appointment on thursday with the nutritiionist..

Help!!! Any suggestions on punishments? He will be awake within the hour and im thinking of putting him to work. I deep clean on sundays..

Also we have an ant problem. He knows this and he knows how hard we have been working to get it under control. I cannot have food upstairs so that is why im thinking of having him help deep clean.. explaining that him taking food upstairs can make the problem worse so he needs to help get it fixed.

Please help.. im at a loss
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM
...let him eat. Its fruit. I'm so confused as to why you would want him to go hungry?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:30 AM
Does he drink milk?

My mom would only let us have toast if we complained of being hungry at night.

I say allowing only toast (one slice) and a glass of milk would satisfy him.

If he breaks the rules by eating anything else without permission he should get in trouble.

Cleaning is good. You could even have him volunteer at a food bank.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Personally .....I would never punish or restrict  my kids or grandkids for eating food at anytime........ As long as they are eating the food and not throwing it away

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Its not that I want him to go hungry. Its not healthy to be eating that late at night and hes doing it ( at least we believe) to avoid sleeping.

His weight is very unhealthy. While his bmi is 22 hes at 99th percentile for weight and height. Childhood obilesity is alive and well and causes many health problems. I am so afraid for him growing up unhealthy.

Tonight it was an entire jar of pickles it was an entire can of tropical fruit and an entire pineaplle. No portion control at all.

:( im scared for my child.. I dont want him to develope weight hased health problems..

Quoting Anonymous:

...let him eat. Its fruit. I'm so confused as to why you would want him to go hungry?

carolyntx
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM
So portion some appropriate snacks. Set a compromise with a boundary. That's my suggestion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:36 AM
the nutrionsit has him at 2 glasses of milk per day.. skim milk at that. im thinking about asking her if we switched to a protein rich milk ( almond ) if she thinks it will help. he has milk with breakfast and dinner. water most of the rest of the day. and 4 oz juice 2 oz water at lunch

Quoting Anonymous:

Does he drink milk?

My mom would only let us have toast if we complained of being hungry at night.

I say allowing only toast (one slice) and a glass of milk would satisfy him.

If he breaks the rules by eating anything else without permission he should get in trouble.

Cleaning is good. You could even have him volunteer at a food bank.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:39 AM
Can you explain this more ? :)

Quoting carolyntx:

So portion some appropriate snacks. Set a compromise with a boundary. That's my suggestion.

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:39 AM
It sounds like he's making healthy choices with his snacks... And since its only once or twice a week, what's the problem? Do you give him a snack before bed? I always had toast and jelly or cereal before bed.

When I wake up early, like it sounds like he does, I get hungry at 3or 4 am. I say let him snack but tell him what to eat. Fruit, toast, cereal... And then to rinse the dish so the ants won't get at it.

Punishing him for eating when he's hungry is ridiculous. Although I would encourage him to eat more at supper time.
neva_eva_always
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:42 AM
1 mom liked this

What are you feeding him? Rarely but if you look it up I'm sure you'll find something on it there are people who don't need much sleep even kids. I was always a night owl and until my 30s I could get by on 2-4 hours of sleep for months on end. Maybe instead of 3 big meals he needs several smaller meals throughout the day. Like oatmeal or cereal for breakfast and then a piece of fruit for a snack then a sandwich and piece of fruit for lunch, half a sandwich for snack, or carrot sticks and ranch dressing, maybe a small serving of dinner from the night before. Some people just don't function on 3 meals but several smaller meals will work. If they're healthy then he can still lose weight and he won't have to sneak food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:48 AM
He usually has a yogurt, or fruit before bed. He like cucumber too .. tonight he had a pickle ( a large one) which is why im guessing he snuck the pickles.

He is up at 5 am daily. He eats a light snack at 6 when he gets to the sitters then rests ( doesnt sleep) until 8 when he has breakfast. He has lunch at 11 and a snack around 3 then dinner at 6 and a snack at 830 or 9. By 10 hes asking for food..

It seems like the general consensus is to give him more control over when he eats.

Its not so much a problem of him being hungry.. more that its never a serving size. Its always the entire item.

I think I will try pre portioning snacks for him and seeing where that goes. Like cutting up an apple and putting it in a baggie. If he is hungry then give him that.. I think thats what im getting from the replies here

Quoting Snakecharm:

It sounds like he's making healthy choices with his snacks... And since its only once or twice a week, what's the problem? Do you give him a snack before bed? I always had toast and jelly or cereal before bed.

When I wake up early, like it sounds like he does, I get hungry at 3or 4 am. I say let him snack but tell him what to eat. Fruit, toast, cereal... And then to rinse the dish so the ants won't get at it.

Punishing him for eating when he's hungry is ridiculous. Although I would encourage him to eat more at supper time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN