Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is it that most salespeople judge

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:47 AM
  • 43 Replies
Quite annoying. They judge people based on ethnicity, clothes & how many kids you have with you. Has something like this ever hsppened to you? I was at a boutique today and I came in with my kids and baby. I wasn't greeted but the other people who came after me was greeted hi and asked if they need any help with anything. I was in tank tops, vintage denim shorts, oh and flip flops. I had my hair pulled up with a hair clamp and no jewelries. I was not feeling well today but had to shop for resort wear. I don't have the time to go to any other shops and I like the clothes there so I still bought 3 articles of clothing. I was in there and out in only a few minutes.
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM
4 moms liked this

When people are working on commissions, they have to determine who is worth their time and really can only do that based on looks and image. Of course, there are cases where  they get it wrong.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope..never happend to me. When I walk in with 6 kids.... they will greet us and start handing all of us a store bag to carry items to purchase, lol

dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:51 AM
4 moms liked this

you should have pulled a pretty woman.

you made a big mistake. HUGE. im off to go shopping now.

mudwrap
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:57 AM
Yeah I'm starting to think that people who works at target, Walmart & other department stores are so much nicer than those who works at designer boutiques. Even in supermarkets, everybody is so helpful but that boutique got some pompous salespeople. I wonder why the stores hires such people. One even scolded my child the moment we walked in. I just didnt have the time nor the energy to call him out coz I wasn't feeling well today.

Quoting Sassy762:Nope..never happend to me. When I walk in with 6 kids.... they will greet us and start handing all of us a store bag to carry items to purchase, lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I worked at jcpenney. We were taught not to hold someone up who had kids with them because

A they are probably in a rush
B they have kids to control not time to be talking to a sales associate
C they typically come to the store knowing tlwhat they want already
mudwrap
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:03 AM
Hahaha!!!! That would have been awesome! Lol

Quoting dmarie2101:

you should have pulled a pretty woman.

you made a big mistake. HUGE. im off to go shopping now.

Matthea
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:38 AM
2 moms liked this
If they got paid based on providing decent service to all customers, then you'd likely get equal treatment despite how you presented yourself (aside from the other valid points laid out by another poster above). The reality, however, is that most such positions (especially in boutiques) are evaluated by their managers/superiors based on other KPIs like quotas, total sales numbers or amount. There is basically no incentive to cater to anyone who looks like a time-waster, and can in fact be a disincentive, as having worked in retail myself, often shoplifters work in teams or pairs and deliberately make distractions for some staff (including using a bevy of kids) while some other dodgy bugger is ripping off merchandise.

Yes, they're judging you, based on all of the information available to them, and taking the actions that make the most sense given the likely consequences.

I did a fantastic job, rarely pre-judged customers (I know at least one millionaire who usually goes about in shorts and flip-flops), and always left my customers happy - but I understand those who make judgements and act accordingly. 'Politeness' and blind equality in a service industry can be 'expensive' in time and energy, not to mention potentially costing you financially or costing your job if as a staff member you aren't shrewd.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Most people judge others. Its what we do. 

mudwrap
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM
You know so much! What's a kpi? Haha! True. I looked like I can't buy anything in that place. Lol

Quoting Matthea:

If they got paid based on providing decent service to all customers, then you'd likely get equal treatment despite how you presented yourself (aside from the other valid points laid out by another poster above). The reality, however, is that most such positions (especially in boutiques) are evaluated by their managers/superiors based on other KPIs like quotas, total sales numbers or amount. There is basically no incentive to cater to anyone who looks like a time-waster, and can in fact be a disincentive, as having worked in retail myself, often shoplifters work in teams or pairs and deliberately make distractions for some staff (including using a bevy of kids) while some other dodgy bugger is ripping off merchandise.

Yes, they're judging you, based on all of the information available to them, and taking the actions that make the most sense given the likely consequences.

I did a fantastic job, rarely pre-judged customers (I know at least one millionaire who usually goes about in shorts and flip-flops), and always left my customers happy - but I understand those who make judgements and act accordingly. 'Politeness' and blind equality in a service industry can be 'expensive' in time and energy, not to mention potentially costing you financially or costing your job if as a staff member you aren't shrewd.

mudwrap
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I looked like a beach bum
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured