Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you let your children visit grandma...

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM
  • 21 Replies

If she lived in a bad neighborhood?  And by "bad," I mean drug deals happening around the corner, multiple calls to 911 for this neighborhood (fights, gun shots, etc).   

If your mom or MIL lived in this neighborhood, would your kids be able to spend the night there, hang out there all day or would you prefer grandma come to your house to visit? 

This is my mom.  I got to thinking about posting this after she told me what happened Friday morning, with some fool just randomly shooting, putting bullets into my aunt's apartment, who also lives there.  And it's not like she never sees the kids.  Every weekend, the girls call her to see if she wants to go to the park or wherever, even if it's just my errands to the stores.  

I've seen a couple of replies about financially helping her move somewhere better.  Believe me, if I could I would. But, I can't make that happen.  I've recently been diagnosed with leukemia and my meds cost me (after insurance pays) $1500 a month and we are currently struggling until things get worked out.  

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonandon
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Nope. Grandma could come to our house though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

She would be coming to visit them, or she wouldn't see them at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM
No way! Why does grandma live there?
soon2bmmy
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM

She would have to come my way!!!! Or we could visit at a park or something.

Maries_Mom23
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It's my mom and it's a housing project. Right now, she's trying to be transferred to a senior high rise apartment, since she's technically now a senior citizen.  But, it's all she can really afford.  

And she's upset with DH and I that we either have her come here or we pick her up and hang out for the day.  

Friday morning at 5, some fool ran around the project, just shooting.  My aunt lives around the corner from her and one of the bullets went through her air conditioner and 4 or 5 more are lodged in her wall.

DH works at our county's 911 center and there are countless calls there every night, yet she just doesn't understand how we can be so mean and not let our girls spend the night.  

Quoting Anonymous:

No way! Why does grandma live there?

livric
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM

gma would be coming to our place, although a short visit might be ok,  there would be no way that overnight would happen

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Absolutely no way. I would also likely pay for her to move into a better neighborhood.
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I would prefer that grandma come visit us.  If that were the case, I would also feel horribly guilty and want them to be safe so I would see what I could do to help them get into a safe  place.

krissy920
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

gradnma would need to understand that the kdis saftey comes first// she can visit them at  your house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I wouldn't allow my Mother or MIL to live in a place like that... So, I can't really answer that question.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN