Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

store credit card?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies
Somehow, I've managed to still have no credit at 24. I guess it's better to have no credit than bad credit. I want to build it up but don't want to take out a loan from my bank. The idea of a loan makes me all panicky. So what about a store credit card? Like Target? Does anyone have one? What are the interest rates? Is it a horrible idea? I really want to start building my credit.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I would just get a $500 credit card from my bank, buy gas, and pay it off every month
Mommie_2_Boys
by Steph on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I did a $1000 loan from my bank. Paid it monthly for 2 years. I have great credit finally
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM
This. It's what I started doing at 18. My credit score in now over 800.

Quoting 3xangel:

I would just get a $500 credit card from my bank, buy gas, and pay it off every month
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I don't think you can get a Target card with no credit history.

Sondi7
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I would do this as well. This is actually howi built my credit when I was 18. I used it for small things and paid it off monthly.

Quoting 3xangel:

3xangel
by *Angelicious* on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Mmm hmm. That's exactly how I built up my credit too.

Quoting Sondi7:

I would do this as well. This is actually howi built my credit when I was 18. I used it for small things and paid it off monthly.

Quoting 3xangel:

Foolynroo2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

whatever credit card you get, pay it off every month and the interest rate is moot.

I would get a card with no annual fee though, so it literally will not cost you a dime to  have a credit card.

With no credit you aren't getting a loan or CC with a low interest rate, so just bite the bullet, but pay it of each and every month.

If you are not in the position to do that, then don't get a card.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:16 AM
I asked my bank about that and they said they don't do that and they never heard of it. :S They do line of credit on your checking but you have to have a certain credit score.

Quoting 3xangel:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I don't want to be paying something off for a year or more. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Idk how to explain it.

Quoting Mommie_2_Boys:

I did a $1000 loan from my bank. Paid it monthly for 2 years. I have great credit finally
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Whatever you do do NOT pay it off monthly. Leave a balance, a small one is fine, but you build credit by showing that you can responsibly carry debt. Even if it is $10, carry a balance.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)