Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I need some food stamp ettiquette advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 219 Replies
37 moms liked this

I just got approved for food stamps and I'm not quite sure about the rules.When I get my food stamps in the morning, do I refer to non food stamp users as "master" or "your highness?" Do I bow and avert my eyes?

I know I'm supposed to wear my best rags (because I sold all of my decent clothes) and wear no jewelry (even cheap costume). My cheap brown Walmart purse looks too nice for a food stamp user, but honestly nobody wanted to buy it, so I'm stuck using it. My son has new shoes, but they were the cheapest I could find at Walmart and his feet are so big Goodwill didn't have any that fit him. 

Now, am I not allowed to have anything that would make my food flavorful? No sugar, salt, or spices, right? Nothing with any kind of fat or artificial food coloring. Just rice, beans, potatoes, vegetables and cheap cuts of meat. If there are cheap steaks or shell fish on sale I know I'm not allowed to buy them. No candy, soda, or chips at all.

We are walking to the store because I sold our car for the $100 it was worth. Am I allowed to bring the kids' wagon, or should I sell that, too?

If anyone asks me to, I must willingly pee in any receptacle provided for drug testing. I also must loudly announce to everyone that I am using public assistance so that I can let everyone in the store look at me with scorn.

Are there any that I am missing? Like I said, I'm new to this.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Grumpylilpixy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:59 AM
3 moms liked this

LMAOOOOOO!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:00 AM
4 moms liked this

Just tell no one you're on them, amazing thing is they won't be able to give you shit if you keep that shit to yourself.

horseap
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Ha!

gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Sell that wagon! Your kid can ride piggy-back!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:01 AM

But according to CMrs, being on food stamps is supposed to be humiliating and I am supposed to let everyone in the store know that I am paying for my food with your tax money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just tell no one you're on them, amazing thing is they won't be able to give you shit if you keep that shit to yourself.

SKM1119
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Good news is you can walk to Starbucks and get a frapuccino with your fs apparently, according to another post.  I mean, if you don't need much food :)

XXXLmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM
2 moms liked this

ARE YOU KIDDING? With food stamps, which is now called EBT i think in most states? Its like a debit card. I have never eaten so well as I did while enjoying state assistance. For awhile they were giving us $900 a month. How the fuck did they decide we needed $900? I use to get by with $400 for a family of 6 with SD who eats over 10 nights out of the month plus breakfast and lunch on weekends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM
Walk to the store naked... Only buy fruits and veggies.
N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Lulz. As far as I know the easiest way is scan the card and keep it to yourself. It's nobody's business but yours how you're paying for food, or what you buy. 

IFartGlitter
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 3:03 AM
5 moms liked this
I think I love you
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)