Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should their pictures have been free?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
I don't claim to be a professional photographer but I enjoy photography and my cousins asked me to take family pictures of them. We went to a location, they dressed up, posed different ways, just like one would in a real photo shoot. I was expecting 20 bucks. Was I wrong in that? I photographed my 2 cousins, their husbands, and 4 kids.

They didn't give me a cent. I know they are family but we have a lot of family that do things for us and its not free. Even if they say its free I believe it's polite to compensate them for their time, equipment, energy, and skills.

I'm not going to cause a big deal about it but i just thought it was pretty lame. I would have done it for free if we were very close but we aren't. We really only talk if some family event is coming up.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this
No, they don't owe you any money. You didn't give them a price beforehand and you're not even a professional! Good Lord.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

unless it is discussed up front, nope

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Did you ask for money when you agreed to take the pictures?

CafeMom Tickers
unspecified42
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM

They should have bought you lunch or flowers or bake you cookies or pay for the prints, but if you aren't professional and are taking pictures of family members, I wouldn't expect to pay you, no.

nicki1018
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
If you didn't say hey its going to be this much then no.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I would have appreciated that too but nope, nothing.

Quoting unspecified42:

They should have bought you lunch or flowers or bake you cookies or pay for the prints, but if you aren't professional and are taking pictures of family members, I wouldn't expect to pay you, no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM
I was expecting them to bring it up but they never did. I still spent time and energy doing something for them.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, they don't owe you any money. You didn't give them a price beforehand and you're not even a professional! Good Lord.
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

You should have discussed compensation ahead of time.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM

No. You're not a professional photographer, thus you don't need to be charging for your services. No one HAS to tip you, either. It's not common place for photographers to get tipped anyway.

x2monstersx
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Did you discuss it beforehand?  I don't think they owe you anything if money wasn't even talked about. It would have been a nice gesture since you did take the time out...but you can't get mad about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN