Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you polite when religious folks come to your home?

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit* I just noticed a big typo lol. It should have been I am not of their faith not I am. I thought that may be obvious since I mentioned I was not sure of things about them, but just incase :)

I just had some Jehovah witnesses ( I believe they mention they attend Kingdom Hall which I think is what they call church?) stop by. My German Shepard was barking the moment their tires touched my drive way so I greeted them on my porch unsure of who they were. I was polite and took their booklet and answered their question ( do I think god intended for the world to be plagued by war? To which I said I would hope not) and let them read one very short sentence from their bible and they were on their way. They did not try to convert me, no real preaching at all, never even said where in town their church was located.

Now I am not of their faith but i think in the end all religions boil down to the same stuff. But I remember as a child my grandmother would have us crawl on the floor and avoid windows so they wouldn't see us. I spent less then 3 minutes with them. No real disrupt to my day, but they seemed happy I didn't shoo them off the property. Just because I don't agree with them I don't think I should make it harder on them to do as they believe. I want to think going door to door is a requirement for their faith.

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door? Or do most hide or tell them to go away?
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
LectioDivina
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, very polite.

They are trying to save your soul. Even if you don't appreciate it. That takes a lot of moral strength.

They don't do anything to hurt, they just offer information.

jarkrt
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I don't answer the door anymore when they come, especially after what happened to that other CM member's DH.
redhead-bedhead

I have to be nice to them...

tifbrown

Yes. I tell them thank you, but I have a religion that I practice. I also tell them I admire what they do and their ability to spread the word about God. They are usually very appreciative and leave without getting pushy.

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

You realize you just invited them back right?

Piskie
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
First time, I'm polite. Second time, not so much. Third, I get rude. They can be incredibly annoying.
CutieCrab
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Yes.

redhead-bedhead
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I missed that post. What happened?

Quoting jarkrt:

I don't answer the door anymore when they come, especially after what happened to that other CM member's DH.

inmybizz
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

It starts polite then gets nasty.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Do you know it's them and not answer or you don't answer for anyone? I always wonder if its important since I live in the woods and no one just randomly comes by. I think this was the first time ever except for election time since I moved to nh

Quoting Anonymous:

no because i dont answer the door when they come.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN