Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you polite when religious folks come to your home?

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit* I just noticed a big typo lol. It should have been I am not of their faith not I am. I thought that may be obvious since I mentioned I was not sure of things about them, but just incase :)

I just had some Jehovah witnesses ( I believe they mention they attend Kingdom Hall which I think is what they call church?) stop by. My German Shepard was barking the moment their tires touched my drive way so I greeted them on my porch unsure of who they were. I was polite and took their booklet and answered their question ( do I think god intended for the world to be plagued by war? To which I said I would hope not) and let them read one very short sentence from their bible and they were on their way. They did not try to convert me, no real preaching at all, never even said where in town their church was located.

Now I am not of their faith but i think in the end all religions boil down to the same stuff. But I remember as a child my grandmother would have us crawl on the floor and avoid windows so they wouldn't see us. I spent less then 3 minutes with them. No real disrupt to my day, but they seemed happy I didn't shoo them off the property. Just because I don't agree with them I don't think I should make it harder on them to do as they believe. I want to think going door to door is a requirement for their faith.

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door? Or do most hide or tell them to go away?
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (241-246):
LuLuThatsWho
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Depends on whether or not they weer invited.

IsmellP00h
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I always get mad because they always knock when im sacrificing a small goat. Id ask them to join me but that would probably scare them off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdb7519
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I have been having Mormons come by.  I am polite and will listen to what they have to say.  I actually am interested in the different kinds of faith but I already go to church and do not feel that there church is right for me.  I have told them (kinda) that I am not interested but I am not sure how to let them know without being mean.  Any ideas?

livingrlovesong
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Yep. I am a Christian and if they show up, I politely tell them to leave. We have Jesus in our home. And Ive never had an issue with it
Clairwil
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Quoting lasombrs:

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door?

I always invite them in, give them tea and biscuits, and offer an exchange of time - I'll listen to them for however long they want to talk for, if they'll listen to me for an equal length of time.

I listen politely to them, during their turn.

Then, during my turn, I teach them about science and evolution, complete with references to evidence they can look up for themselves.

I have, alas, never ever been visited back again by the same couple.

Jenniy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I'm polite at first, but if they keep on after I politely tell them no thank you, I become a bitch.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)