Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you polite when religious folks come to your home?

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit* I just noticed a big typo lol. It should have been I am not of their faith not I am. I thought that may be obvious since I mentioned I was not sure of things about them, but just incase :)

I just had some Jehovah witnesses ( I believe they mention they attend Kingdom Hall which I think is what they call church?) stop by. My German Shepard was barking the moment their tires touched my drive way so I greeted them on my porch unsure of who they were. I was polite and took their booklet and answered their question ( do I think god intended for the world to be plagued by war? To which I said I would hope not) and let them read one very short sentence from their bible and they were on their way. They did not try to convert me, no real preaching at all, never even said where in town their church was located.

Now I am not of their faith but i think in the end all religions boil down to the same stuff. But I remember as a child my grandmother would have us crawl on the floor and avoid windows so they wouldn't see us. I spent less then 3 minutes with them. No real disrupt to my day, but they seemed happy I didn't shoo them off the property. Just because I don't agree with them I don't think I should make it harder on them to do as they believe. I want to think going door to door is a requirement for their faith.

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door? Or do most hide or tell them to go away?
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (31-40):
Yellowlily333
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Im polite to them-they are always polite to me! :)

soph324
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
I politely tell them I'm not interested and to have a good day.
frstldyhmsch
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I'm a Christian and my husband is a pastor. We are both always polite, open the door and greet them with love...just as we do with anyone else. The difference is, when they leave, they usually leave with homework from us, as many of them that visit our home are not well educated in their faith.

Nichole0403
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Always, I was raised to be polite even to strangers. I figure they do not mean harm and I know that they believe they are trying to help you, so why be rude?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not really polite to them. I am not polite to anyone to comes to my door and interrupts me to sell me something. If I wanted to find religion I would. I don't understand the door to door stuff. I've never heard of it working on anyone. 

mrs.hartman12
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on my mood. They really shouldn't be knocking on my door anyway!

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

i am super polite!  i can use all of the prayers i can get!  i think it is sweet that part of their faith is spreading faith...although it doesn't have to be so dismal, right?...anyway, the nicer you are, the more real they get...i think it is pretty fun.

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I politely but firmly tell them I'm not interested and not to come back.

mysticalmalissa
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The first time, yes.

jarkrt
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Two guys came to the door posed as either Mormons or JWs (can't remember). Her DH opened the door and these guys attacked him. It was a home invasion in disguise. It was on the local news (Las Vegas I think). She posted a video of their home surveillance camera capturing them walking up to their door.

Idk if I have the link to the post. I'll have to look.

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I missed that post. What happened?

Quoting jarkrt:

I don't answer the door anymore when they come, especially after what happened to that other CM member's DH.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)