Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you polite when religious folks come to your home?

Posted by   + Show Post
*edit* I just noticed a big typo lol. It should have been I am not of their faith not I am. I thought that may be obvious since I mentioned I was not sure of things about them, but just incase :)

I just had some Jehovah witnesses ( I believe they mention they attend Kingdom Hall which I think is what they call church?) stop by. My German Shepard was barking the moment their tires touched my drive way so I greeted them on my porch unsure of who they were. I was polite and took their booklet and answered their question ( do I think god intended for the world to be plagued by war? To which I said I would hope not) and let them read one very short sentence from their bible and they were on their way. They did not try to convert me, no real preaching at all, never even said where in town their church was located.

Now I am not of their faith but i think in the end all religions boil down to the same stuff. But I remember as a child my grandmother would have us crawl on the floor and avoid windows so they wouldn't see us. I spent less then 3 minutes with them. No real disrupt to my day, but they seemed happy I didn't shoo them off the property. Just because I don't agree with them I don't think I should make it harder on them to do as they believe. I want to think going door to door is a requirement for their faith.

So yeah, anyone else polite to them even if you don't practice the faith of whoever shows up at your door? Or do most hide or tell them to go away?
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Replies (41-50):
redheadstar
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I normally do not open my doors to strangers, however will ask who they are from inside the house, I have a sign posted on my door  "No Salespeople or solicitors"  I pertain that to Jehovah Witnesses too.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I uaually was even though it become a once or twice a week thing which bothered the shit out of me.  I would take their literature, say thanks and they'd go away. However, last summer, there were these two old ladies who tried to tell me that I could not raise my baby the correct way without god. They asked if I knew 'the one true god' and I asked them if they were talking about Aten. They were confused and I was amused and then I told them I was perfectly capable of raising decent, kind, respectful and loving children without their religion and told them to have a nice day before I shut the door. I haven't had one single religious peddler come to my door this summer...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in an apartment building so they don't come here. When they would go to my parents house my dad would ask them if they wanted to see his bible and hand them The Satanic Bible. Eventually they stopped coming, wonder why. Lol Just want to add that my dad does not practice satinism or whatever. He believes in god, just got tired of always being bothered.
lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Really? Wow that's a lot of gas to drive out to the middle of nowhere for one person. :/ well that's kinda not cool but oh well. I very rarely get adult interaction that isn't one of my son's drs or therapists so as long as they are nice they can stand on my porch for a few minutes every once and awhile.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a former JW. I can guarantee that they will continue to visit you now. In their eyes you have shown interest. They most likely went right to their car and wrote down your information, the scripture they shared with you, and the magazines you were given. If you don't want to be visited just tell them to put you on the do not call list.
aphrodite7400
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

i open my door, but once i hear "hello, we are from....."  i interrupt with a big smile and say "oh no thank, we arent interested, ok thanks...." and i gently close the door. (i dont slam it or anything)  i use the same response for religious folks or salesman who come to my door. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yes, I'm nice and I also take their booklets and listen to them read me their one scripture before they go. They do come back about once a month or so but the visits take literally 2 minutes and then they're gone again. One winter is was bitterly cold, the weather man had asked people not to even leave their homes for fear of frostbite or death. That day an elderly JW came to the door and I let her step inside to talk. They're harmless IMO.

Laura1427
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I'm not religious but I am always polite to the Jehovah's Witnesses that come by.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM
What happened? I am never in the loop. But we do have dog who would gladly give her life for ours if she thought it was required :/

Quoting jarkrt:

I don't answer the door anymore when they come, especially after what happened to that other CM member's DH.
Mommy2ETnBM
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

In my neighborhood we have Jehovah Witnesses come by frequently. If I accidentally answer the door without first looking, and it's them, I will let them ask me if I go to church, then I will tell them yes, and I am happy with my religion and don't wish to change. Then I shut my door on them. They are VERY persistent, even standing IN my doorway, so if you don't cut them off like that, they will nearly come on in without asking. 

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
I didn't but you are the second to say so

Quoting thePBandJmom:

You realize you just invited them back right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)