Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religious military? My dh's conspiracy theory

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 8 Replies

Settle a debate (yeah, because this is such a good cross section of the population).

My husband feels that with the all volunteer military,and the religious right (Christian), that a religous military takeover is coming.

People join the military for several reasons (this all according to him).

1.  They have no other way out, poor, in an area with high unemployment, etc.

2.  They see it as a way to attend college (again, poor, without the financial resources to attend college otherwise).

3.  Family history of military service.

He feels that a larger than average (backed up by some study) percentage of those joining the military are evangelical Christians.  Those who feel that because of their religion, their job is to convert others.  That as the volunteer military continues, more and more of those enlisting will be of the fundamentalist Christian variety.

Now, my daughter is attending college and participating in NROTC.  She's doing it because of a history of military service (both my father and fil were WWII vets, many of mine and my husbands uncles, etc., were also in the military, my husband and I were not).  She also wants a career, not just a job, when she finishes college, and feels a military career is honorable.

But his ranting about this is causing some problems.  I should add that he is a lapsed Catholic, now an athiest, I have always been an athiest, my daughter is as well.  We do not live in a religious area, it's quite liberal in fact.

What say you?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Bump

Anonandon
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM
What does he base this on? Is he in the military and has experienced it firsthand? My husband has been in almost 20 years and this isn't something we've seen. We know a handful of religious people in but it's not been the majority in our experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

My husband has been in the military for 8 years now and we havent seen/heard/noticed anything like you are talking about. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM
My DH has been in the military for 5 years, and I've only met ONE openly Christian person.....

I meet most of his friends/associates
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My husband has been in the Military for 12 years now and we've never seen/heard anything about your husband is talking about.

UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM
We rarely encountered anyone religious when my husband was active duty.
I only know one military family that attends church.
Denecia
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM
My husband has been in for 8 years and I have never felt the way he does. I am not Christian and my husband is hardly one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Again, has he ever been enlisted?

Religion isn't something openly talked about. However, he is right about those who join, just not the religion part.

I don't foresee that ever happening.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured