Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peanut butter and other life-threatening allergies

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

It seems to me that there are so many life-threatening allergies that did not exist before the doctors told us to shelter our infants from certain foods.

Immunizations are low dose exposure to diseases so that the body can make its own antibodys. If an immunized person later comes into contact with the disease in question, their body can fight off the disease.

Going off that premise, I think we are making a mistake in not exposing infants and toddlers to high allergen foods such as  peanut butter and strawberries. (Honey is still dangerous because of Botulism Spores so please do not include honey in this discussion.) 

What do you think?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you haven't done any research. Peanut allergies were just about non existsant before vaccines started using peanut oil, and the only thing an infant shouldn't have is honey for the botulism risk. The recommendation to withhold the foods you listed is outdated.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I think allergies may also be linked to how people try to sanatize everything these days.  It seems the more freaked out people get about germs, the more we notice people with allergies.

In my personal experience, I have noticed that my frineds who are freakishly clean (one of my closet girl friends has someone come in and steam clean her house once a month, and she and her husband put in a sun room, so her kids could play outside, without actually touching dirt.) are the ones whose children have the most allergies and illnesses. While those of us that don't freak out if our kids play in the dirt, tend to have children with healthier immune systems. 

themissheather
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree. I slept with my cat while pregnant. I also ate peanut butter, shellfish, fruits, etc. I then continued to do so while breastfeeding. My daughter has had no reactions so far. I think there is too much hand sanitizer and avoidance of germs. The immune system is best thought of as a muscle. It needs to be exercised to grow strong.
GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
It's the lack of germs we expose our children too.

It's been proven that children who aren't allowed to develop their immune system have food allergies because their bodies sense anything different and attacks it. So what could possibly be a mild reaction turns into a full blown allergy.
themissheather
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I agree the use of peanut oil in vaccines may be triggering these allergies.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you haven't done any research. Peanut allergies were just about non existsant before vaccines started using peanut oil, and the only thing an infant shouldn't have is honey for the botulism risk. The recommendation to withhold the foods you listed is outdated.
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I am looking it up. Thanks for the info.

GhettoKoolAide
by Nuggy's Cult Mistres on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
If it was anyone else I would be screaming bullshit on the sun room.

Those poor children.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I think allergies may also be linked to how people try to sanatize everything these days.  It seems the more freaked out people get about germs, the more we notice people with allergies.

In my personal experience, I have noticed that my frineds who are freakishly clean (one of my closet girl friends has someone come in and steam clean her house once a month, and she and her husband put in a sun room, so her kids could play outside, without actually touching dirt.) are the ones whose children have the most allergies and illnesses. While those of us that don't freak out if our kids play in the dirt, tend to have children with healthier immune systems. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM
I was never told not to expose ds to any food except honey, of course. I was told to introduce 1 food and wait 3 days before I introduced another.
heidi749
by Canadian on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I  know of people that have developed allergies as they got older, my one friends son had an allergic reaction to almonds at the age of 4 and was exposed to them before that.. My SO's uncle had an allergic reaction to peanuts at the age of 30....  I really do not agree with you. I think it is safer to wait until the advised age to start these foods at...

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Agreed. In countries where peanuts are introduced a young ages have less peanut allergies.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured