Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm white?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
3 moms liked this
I grew up in a very well off, conservative lifestyle, home. My dad was a lawyer and my mom was a veterinarian. I have 2 sisters; Julie and Claire. My name is Emily. We went to a private school and all went to college. I have lived a very privileged life. The only problem is that I have been incorrectly labeled all of my life.

I bet none of you would have guessed that I am black. My parents, aunts, uncles, sisters; we're all black. Growing up i got told I was actually white because of how I acted. It was supposed to be a compliment but it is not. It never will be. Calling me an Oreo is not funny. My insides are the same color as yours; not white or black.

Just recently i had my second child and the names suggested to me by white friends and coworkers were Jaylen, Briana, Jasmine, Kia, Ciara, and the likes. But when my white coworker was pregnant the names suggested to her were; Sophia, Natalie, Alice, Charlotte.

Notice a difference? Though we all have the same income, same interests, same profession, I am expected to name them something more "black". That's not right .

I ended up naming her Alexandra by the way :) Her brother's name is Samuel.
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vvinkyloafer
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations on focusing more on your life and not your lifestyle. You are what breaks the stereotype.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't have guessed you are black because I assume all anons are purple, but that's just me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM
You sound awesome! I have an ex named Jaylen. Always loved that name :) he's black though lol.
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

So you don't like to be considered white because your black but you don't want someone to expect you to name your child a black name either. You sound a bit confused for one. Second, what does any of it matter? 

Take yourself for what and who you are a well-educated woman. Color is irrelevant. 

Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Jasmine isn't a normal name? I've met Jasmines of all races with that name. What's next?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Wasn't jasmine Arabic?? Lol
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I've always preferred Yasmine myself but pronounced Yas-meen.

redhead-bedhead
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Wrong! They are green!

Quoting AliKatAK47:

I wouldn't have guessed you are black because I assume all anons are purple, but that's just me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
That's exactly my point. Why expect me to act a certain way and then when I don't congratulate me for acting white?! I'm not acting a color. I'm living my life.

Quoting GOBryan:

So you don't like to be considered white because your black but you don't want someone to expect you to name your child a black name either. You sound a bit confused for one. Second, what does any of it matter? 

Take yourself for what and who you are a well-educated woman. Color is irrelevant. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM
It is but (around here at least) it's usually used for black or mixed children. It's not a bad name or anything.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine.:

Jasmine isn't a normal name? I've met Jasmines of all races with that name. What's next?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured