Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you EXPECT inheritance money? Help settle a debate.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Help me settle a debate.....

If your grandparents passed away and left money to your family, by way of your parents, would you expect to be given a portion of that money? So as a grandchild there was no amount left to you specifically.

Example.....your grandmother passes away (grandfather died years ago) she leaves a total of approximately $800k. In her will it states all monies will be divided equally between her children for them and their families. The grandmother has 4 children, one of which is your father. Would you expect your father to divide some of the $200k between you and your siblings?

Hey I made front page!! I should debate with my friend more often!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
ChicatSixty
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Nope.

If grandma wanted you to have the money, you would have been specifically mentioned.

AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM
No. If they wanted me to have some of that money they would have specifically said so.
illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM

No. I might be a bit sad/jealous, but I wouldn't EXPECT to see a penny of it. The money was left to dad, not me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
If it specifically says "and families" then yes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I got $100 bucks when my grandmother died. I wouldn't get involved in stuff like that, that stuff tears families apart. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I expect nothing. ever.
Lorik1969
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
No. She gave it to her children. Their children aren't owed anything.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM

No, the money would belong to my father to do with as he saw fit.  I will add that the will is a little ambiguous with the addition of "and their families".  One should never put such language in a will as it opens up the potential for grandchildren to contest.

hargonagain
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody in our family has any money, so i don't expect to get anything except a 1/2 share of my mom's life insurance policy, which is only like 30k. 

yanamom
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. If your dad wants to share, that's up to him. Wording like that is usuallly set up when the families are young, and most people don't change it when the grandchildren grow up and leave the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)