Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you EXPECT inheritance money? Help settle a debate.....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Help me settle a debate.....

If your grandparents passed away and left money to your family, by way of your parents, would you expect to be given a portion of that money? So as a grandchild there was no amount left to you specifically.

Example.....your grandmother passes away (grandfather died years ago) she leaves a total of approximately $800k. In her will it states all monies will be divided equally between her children for them and their families. The grandmother has 4 children, one of which is your father. Would you expect your father to divide some of the $200k between you and your siblings?

Hey I made front page!! I should debate with my friend more often!
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Replies (601-610):
celticgodess
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Not from my dad, but in a normal situation (which of course does not exist) yeah probably!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Nope none of my family has money. My sil on the other hand was pissed because she didn't get money for the house that her inlaws sold. It was supposed to be her husbands inheritance. I couldn't help but laugh when she called my husband her brother crying about it.
Turtle207
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
What an entitled world we live in.
mimimom139
by Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:52 AM

No, I would not expect my father to divide the $200K between his children. The money is for him to do for his family as he sees fit. Grandchildren should never expect an inheritance unless their parents have already passed. As for me, I'm sure my dad will see to it that there is nothing left for my siblings and me by the time he goes. He could've put money in a trust for us years ago, but he bought a truck instead. He'll always come first.(He's not my favorite person. Could you tell?)

GreenGirl81
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

The only reason you would have to expect money is if you were specifically mentioned in the will.  You weren't.  It's not your money and you have no reason to feel entitled to it.

CountryLayne
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I never expect anything. I am a happy girl just to know I was loved by them. If they leave a gift for me when they pass away, then that is wonderful. But the memories shared with them is more than enough for me. :)

massconfusion14
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I would not expect it to be immediately given to me, but left in my father's will for me..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:37 PM

No.  It would be my parents' $ and up to them to do with it what they wish.

sydjademom24
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I would expect from a parent not a grandparent. I mean if it was specified in the will thay the money was to be divided between kids, grandkids, and great grandkids then yes I would ecpect. If it was soley left to the 4 kids then no, I wouldnt expect anything.
ElleLuvsOrchids
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Yes... but only if my father said he would honor her request to distribute the inheritance to the grandchildren/me (my father had integrity).  If she left the money to her children - as your example illustrates - and requested a distribution to the grandchildren, then your father is at his discretion legally to honor her request or not.  If the grandmother absolutely wanted everyone in her family to get an inheritance, her will should have divided her assets among all the people she wanted to leave money to in her will. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)