Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Workman's Compensation?? No thank you :) **Edited** ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM
  • 74 Replies
So right after I clocked in today at work, I was walking across the parking lot headed to the females minimum security unit to start my post when BAM! I tripped and landed full weight onto my left knee. I also hit my right knee and my elbow on the pavement. I guess I twisted my right ankle because as soon as I was able to get up I realized I couldn't bare weight on my left foot because of my knee or my right foot due to excruciating pain shooting through my ankle. Since this was work related I had to go straight to the ER. This sucks because I never go to the hospital. My wife met me there, she was off tonight, just about the time they were taking me back for xrays. I've busted my knee pretty good, and fractured my ankle. I've got to go have an MRI this week and my LT, wife and Dr are already talking workman's comp. Uhh, I'm not disabled guys. I cant sit in my ass and collect a check without earning it. I've worked since I was 16 years old. I'm 33. I worked with all pregnancies right up till my water broke with one of them! I'm hoping my MRI shows no bad news and I can get back to work asap. My wife is scared I will mess myself up worse than I already am. I do hurt, and its hard to walk but I seriously can't imagine collecting a check I didn't work for. Am I being ridiculous like my Lt, wife and Dr say??

It was brought to my attention its called "Worker's Comp" lol. My bad!

***UPDATE***
Just got home from my Dr and he's recommended I call my HR lady and go from there. I got into our SUV went to pull my phone out of my pocket to call my job and my HR lady was calling me! That was easy. She's already been on the ball all morning to get me set up. I'm going to OKC to see an Orthopedic Dr and find out what all I've got to do. She also told me to document my mileage, toll fees and to give her any bills I receive. She also said if I'm going to be out of work due to needing time to heal, surgery or for whatever the doctor says, then I will start to receive a worker's compensation check, dating back to the 7th day of missed work (in Oklahoma there is a 7 day waiting period). Soooo, I've decided most of y'all are right along with my wife, I have earned this pay and I just want to function properly again. Lol.
Thank you to all the comments. The civilized ones gave me good insight, the name calling gave my family and I a great laugh. :)
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM

it is called "worker's comp" and it has been that for years.  Workman's comp is gender bias.   I do hope you are ok.  If you need to take time off, do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM
It is meant to help you out while you get better, no reason to make it worse. As long as you do not use it more then needed I do not see anything wrong with using it. Hope all is well with you, or soon will be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Workman's comp is for medical if I am not mistaken. It is used bc it's a work related injury so your work which should have insurance already to cover their employees incase they get injured on the job. I would definitely talk to your job about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM
You earn it by working your job, it's insurance paying you. Besides, it's just temporary. Take care of yourself.
OklahomaWifey
by ♥HerWife4Life♥ on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Thank you for the well wishes. I'm calling it what they are calling it. Goes to show I've never done it before since I didn't know its exact name. Thank you for educating me! Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

it is called "worker's comp" and it has been that for years.  Workman's comp is gender bias.   I do hope you are ok.  If you need to take time off, do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:28 AM

I always thought it was pay for being hurt on a job until you could go back. Not sit at home forever.  Am I wrong?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM

yes.. you are. its there for when you are hurt and need to rest to do your job equally the same as before....

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:31 AM

Worker's comp is not disability, it's to help you until you can work again.

OklahomaWifey
by ♥HerWife4Life♥ on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM
I never said sit at home forever. I said I couldn't imagine sitting at home collecting a check I didn't earn.

Quoting Anonymous:

I always thought it was pay for being hurt on a job until you could go back. Not sit at home forever.  Am I wrong?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:32 AM

oh get over it.... i hate all this bs over gender bias crap so are we not huMAN were just hu? damn

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN