Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Boiled peanuts, devil crabs and cuban sandwiches:

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 242 Replies

A childhood friend of mine recently found me on Facebook. I noticed a status update today on her profile and was shocked by it. She said she had not had a cuban sandwich, devil crab or cup of boiled peanuts since moving up north.

They apparently don't sell them at all, and most people haven't ever heard of them at all!

Have you heard of them or tried them? I couldn't even imagine life without these three very common Floridian foods.

What local foods does you state have that no one has usually heard of?

(Worked here and made these devil crabs for ages...they look weird, but covered in hot sauce, they taste delicious)

I also made pressed cubans fresh everyday at the same place. They sold for 6.00 a whole sandwich or 3.00 for a six inch. They are made with cuban bread which is baked with a palm frond across the top to seal in the moisture.

Boiled peanuts are sold in every gas station or convenience store across Florida. They are sold in styrofoam cups, usually for a buck, unless you know the store owners, then they are 25 or 50 cents. They are spicy.

ETA: Boiled peanuts can be sold plain. I just like the ones with the pepper seed floating in them and with hot sauce on the side.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAnders224
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Here in Michigan i've never heard of and of them, but fil made boiled peanuts once and they were tasty
AlohaTink
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Sweet tea. We travel to NYS twice a year from Nashville and once we cross into Ohio I can't get a decent sweet tea anywhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont like cajun boiled peanuts, i just prefer regular boiled in salt water. Of course, im a born and raised south carolina girl - did you know they donhavr dukes mayo up north? Thats...unspeakable.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Wtf, phone... dont have.
blue_elephant
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Utah, and this is all new to me...

I don't think Utah has weird food...?
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a cajun peanut fan...I love me some plain old boiled peanuts, though...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM

No sweet tea??? Oh, my lord, it's worse than I thought. Those poor, deprived people!

Quoting AlohaTink:

Sweet tea. We travel to NYS twice a year from Nashville and once we cross into Ohio I can't get a decent sweet tea anywhere.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Soooooo good. I want a Cuban.
.Milfshake.
by SoNastySoRude on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Jamaican jerk nachos, Ive never heard of boiled peanuts bleh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My dad lived in FL but I don't remember boiled peanuts.  Cuban sandwiches yes, and he would make these little blue crab legs...is that the same thing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)