Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Free birth control in high schools- you opinion? Edit added

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM
  • 29 Replies

I don't even know about the availability of birth control in high schools, figured I should state that first.

i am talking about the pill or depo shot. Not condoms. 

How would you feel react if you daughter was on the pill or shot through her school without your knowledge? 

If against it because you deserve to know because its your child's medical health.... Would you rather your 15 year tell,you she is pregnant. 

I know this will be flooded with "I talk openly with my child. She would never need to go behind my back" etc please save that. It happens no matter how hard we try to have open communication there will still be kids that won't tell their parents everything.

this is about if you found out your daughter is on the pill,or shot providing by her high school.

edit: let's say there is a planned parenthood clinic in the school. Would that change your mind? I don't know if there is a age limit to get free birth control from such a clinic? 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobinBright
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Medication should be provided by a doctor who knows my child's medical history... I'm not sure how a school fills that role.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I am cool with condoms

hormonal birth control, no way

Anonandon
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
This. The school isn't qualified to just start handing out meds.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I am cool with condoms

hormonal birth control, no way

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I would pull my kids from any school that provided ANY type of birth control to the students.  It is NOT the school's place to seek non-emergency medical care for my children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Pretty much this.

Quoting RobinBright:

Medication should be provided by a doctor who knows my child's medical history... I'm not sure how a school fills that role.
Susan0805
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Absolutely not!!! There are side effects/ risks to hormonal birth control. It also gives a false sense of security because birth control does not prevent against STI or HIV. Not to mention birth control could mask symptoms of a reproductive problem. Parents should know what medications their children are on!
Trisi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
I would be hurt because she didn't tell me, but I was a teen mom and don't want my kids to be parents as early as I was. I'd rather find out about birth control than a baby. No doubt about it.
icn_mom
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM
3 moms liked this

I think its a great idea. actually when i was in high school, they offered a planned parenthood clinic next to the nurses office.. girls could get anual physicals, birth control, the morning after pill etc.. full clinic free to the high school atendees.. would I PREFER my daughter came to me to discuss the idea of bc etc? most deffinatly, but if she isnt comfortable with it then at least she can get is somewhere and still be protected!

IWantOneMorePlz
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM

If my children feel the need to be on BC, I would rather they went to their doctor, and not the school.  If they don't want me knowing about it, I would be hurt, but I would get over it.

I will tell them to make sure the risks are fully explained to them.

nirvanadonna
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Condoms....yes, hormonal bc.....no.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured