Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your pets get along?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
  • 21 Replies

If you have more than one pet, do they get along? Sleep together? Play with each other? Don't acknowledge each other? Aggregate each other? 

It's been funny to watch the transition here. 3 weeks ago it was just daughters cat here. The shelter warned us that he hates dogs. I never believed the whole cat/ dog thing til,first time ex brought our family dog over. Ummm yeah the cat hissed at dog, swiped at him and then hide under table on guard. It was only a 15 minute vist when ex was picking up daughter.

two weeks ago son brought a puppy here for me to keep til he exits army in dec. ex also brought family dog here while son was visiting. Yeah the cat didn't like it one bit! Cat would mostly stay up high. Family dog also didn't tolerate the puppy. Buddy is 13, old, stubborn and grumpy! 

BUT they have finally learned to tolerate each other!!! The cat will occasionally tolerate the puppy playing with her ( puppy barks at cat and jumps around him trying to get him to play). Older dog doesn't play but will now tolerate the puppy laying next to him.

They have adjusted quicker than I thought they would! 

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I have a dog and a cat and they grew up together.  They have fun catching flies together if the flies manage to be unlucky enough to get into my apartment.  My cat will rub his face on my dog's face and my dog doesn't mind.  Sometimes they even sleep together on the couch :)

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Mobile Photo

Yup they get along pretty well most of the time.
Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:17 PM

We have three dogs who are best friends and we recently added a kitten.  

At first the dogs thought the kitten was a squeaky toy, but once they got over that they have been great friends.  I caught the puppy (1 year old mini dachshund) curled up in a dog bed with the 4 month old kitten and she was bathing the kitten like a mommy dog.  The puppy sleeps every night with her paw wrapped over the kitten.  The two of them are inseparable and play with the most amazing ninja moves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Our two dogs didn't get along at first but the older dog finally realized it was either learn to get along or stay on his bed all day bc we weren't getting rid of our new puppy.
CelestialSong
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My cats get along, but the cats and the dog do not. We were told the dog was just curious about cats but would be okay... Ha! Her first encounter with one of our curious cats, and she darted after him so fast the leash snapped out of my hand and almost broke my wrist. She chased him upstairs, through all of the bedrooms, back downstairs, and he jumped up onto the fridge from the floor (I have never ever seen him jump that high before) and we had to fight the dog to get her away from it. It was ridiculous. Ever since then, the cats avoid her like the plague, and any hint of any moving small creature and she will relentlessly chase them down. Nothing has helped, no amount of obedience training can curb that hunting instinct. The cats live upstairs, the dog lives downstairs. We've been talking about finding her a new home because it is so unfair to the cats to have brought this predator into their home and forced them to live in fear. 

Jade_Lufercus
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Our cat and dog get along fine. Sometimes the dog chases the cat when they're outside, but that's it.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

We have 3 dogs. The chihuahua mix and the beagle mix play and get along fantastically. Our older lab tolerates them both but she is just not playful. Her and the beagle had a few small adjustment issues but they are all good now. The beagle mix HATES my friends pug though. HATES him....with a fiery passion LOL.

Pnukey
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

No. They fight often. The bigger ones killed the 3 smaller ones. Damn turtles.

LCG83
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
They do all get along well. The only trouble I have is the cats with the cockatiels, but they mostly leave them alone. We have to he super careful though because I know they would get them if they ever got the chance. My cat Piper was TERRIFIED of the dogs when we first got him, but now he sleeps and plays with them. Such a crazy transformation.
lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM

my 2 dogs do fine with each other. We have 2 dobermans our black/rust is younger(but we've had him longer) than our blue doberman. So when we first brought our blue boy home it was a little back and forth for them to establish who was top dog. We've had our blue for over a year now and they get along great!!! They play and wrestle like they have lived their whole lives together!!!

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)