Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I call troll. He had 3 jobs in the 6 1/2 years he was in? And was denied insurance through the VA?! Bull shit.
mommyoftoddlers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

I admire those men and their families who risk and put their families on hold to protect others...that is highly admirable. Now I agree with the goverment screwing over the Veterans. I'm not very familiar with what comes with serving your country after you have served but they should be able to help if necessary especially after you've been injured. It's sad that there are so many homeless veterans... :(

patriotic

krissy920
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

seems strange i know someone personally who gets 1200 a month   full disability for being bipolar ( saying its from anthrax shot) and she can work just fine. I also know another guy  who had a  500 pound safe fall on his back and hes got full disability as well (  i dont know his pay) My husband is military and i just cant imagine something like that happening.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
Same thing with my dad. He was a marine for many years and fought in the Vietnam war and got hurt pretty bad in an explosion. He got a purple heart and the government owed him money. He got half of it years ago and then a few months later he read his own deceased letter!
Since then social security office doesn't recognize him but he gets a very small VA check. He had the hardest time getting a job since he looked illegal. Now he has a letter from social security office but not an actual social security card. When he does his taxes he has the letter.

He's gotten lawyers throughout the years to fight it but it's the government. It's BS.
KGreen75
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Agree and this is why i will do everything in my power to keep my children from every joining any military branch.  I will pay for their college, all the college they want, set them up with trust funds, etc.  I NEVER want my children joining ANY military branch and risk going through all of this bullshit.  At the end of the day these damn troops are nothing but disposable pawns to the US government.  The government is the worst employer around.

Quoting Kmary:

Oh thank God I'm not the only callous, horrible person who feels this same way

I appreciate anyone's service.  It's a noble choice and I'm sure that I could never have done what many others have chosen to do in serving our nation.  But it is a choice, nonetheless.  No one forced their hand.  I've never served and have no close family or friends in the military and even I know that once out, there isn't much in the way of assistance.  One needs to be personally responsible.  And while in theory, I personally would LOVE to assist every single person who served our country, it's simply impossible.  Plus, where would it end?  It isn't only military personnel who risk their health/safety for the good of others.  We just can't logistically care for everyone who made a noble career choice, even if it's the "right" thing to do.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Not to sound callous ... but it's a CHOICE to serve. So if he can't make ends meet, then maybe you both needs to get jobs or better jobs.

If your child is disabled ... you can apply for disability benefits & insurance help to pay for most of the bills.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

so every soldier that does 6 years should be taken care of for the rest of their lives??? NO

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I'm so sorry.  The government has really given vets the short end of the stick and it needs to stop already!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

goddess99
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I agree, I'm sorry.

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Ok. But rather than delaying start, just get it started. Keep a log of everything.

Quoting Fjamrkr:

VA could take forever and a day to do anything.

A friend of mine has been dealing with them for years and is still being jerked around. They lost her file once and she started over then they sent her case to another state because of back log and when she checked the status of her case, they had gone from more or less pending approval to gathering sufficient evidence of injury. Doesn't help that they keep jumping severe injuries to the front of the line and making the back log of cases worse.

Quoting lnrmom:

Apply for VA benefits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN