Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (191-191):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM

This is my feeling exactly.

I'm sorry Op, but there are a lot of programs out there for your Dh. He just needs to call and ask. And he should be looking into getting VA Disablility. You keep mentioning pension, but VA Disability and Pension are two very different things.

My dh has so many things wrong with him.  But the difference between him and your dh is that his body took a beating from the Army for over 20 years. He's had several surgeries and the last one was the removal of two herniated discs and now he has a titanium plate in his neck. He will more than likely have to endure the same surgery after discovering he has another bulging disc. He isn't in his 20's- he's in his 40's with a 100% service connected disabilities (including PTSD) and he still works full time.

The government is taking quite good care of him. Serve long enough and you get a check for life. Serve 6, ehhh.....Your husband needs to seek help for his mental and emotional issues and call around for services available to him. There's help available to him. I'm sorry he went through something so traumatic but he's still here. His friend isn't. The government shouldn't be obligated to compensate everyone (who served even the minimum of time) with a check for life. And you are going to have to find some way to contribute more financially as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

so every soldier that does 6 years should be taken care of for the rest of their lives??? NO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)