Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
it's just a job, you shouldn't get special treatment for a job you chose
Byrd15
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Yup! Breaks my heart...

Quoting jobo:

You're right it doesn't make sense...I know people who have mental health issues and everything gets paid for..housing,food,mental health,transportation to store,doc appointments..our soldiers deserve help after serving our country ,there's no good reason they shouldn't.

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Get ready for the bashings and the "you aren't owed shit" argument.

Yes, it's a job he chose, but it's also a risky job that should have better benefits. Sadly, a lot of veterans suffer in the end and are not given adequate care. They give you the whole "We take care of our own", "We are family and we are here for you", but once it's all said and done and you've done your time in the field, you are nothing to them. They've gotten what they've wanted out of you.

Have you tried going back to school op? Maybe do classes that would enhance your career? I would look into these things. Maybe your dh can team up with a local community college to take some career enhancing classes as well.

Best of luck to you guys.

Trisi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM
You are so right. I co-founded a troop support organization 4 years ago with many Vietnam Vets. I've heard some terrible stories from them. Almost any vet will tell you that they have it pretty easy, compared to the generation before them. And each generation of vets work hard, some till the day they die, to make sure that what happened to them, doesn't happen to the following generation of vets. What an honorable thing to do for your brothers and sisters, IMO. It's a terrible thing that the country, as a whole, doesn't look out for them the way former service members do.

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:
It's insane but ask any Vietnam vet, they were spit on and tore down by the country who sent them over. They suffered shell shock and didnt receive counseling or help, they were left homeless and hated. This country doesn't have a record of being kind to our veterans. Btw, seek putting your husband into emdr therapy instead of just regular counseling. I swear by it.
Lorik1969
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Serve in Comgress=benefits for life. Serve your country=screw you. It's disgraceful!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I agree with you, we treat our criminals better than we treat our veterans and elderly. its a sad.
AllaB
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM

this is because all the money that is supposed to be spent taking care of families like yours gets given away to Africa and Asia and Central America. Also to our number of social programs who cater to parasites who had never contirbuted a cent to this country or its safety. This is the government you chose, now you reap the consequences. Enjoy...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM
It's sad that many veteran's are treated this way. Many came back after the Revolution to having their farms foreclosed on. Most of the homeless around here were war veteran's.

Has he contacted wounded warriors? Any way to refinance your home? What area are you located?
kagegirl
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Call wounded warriors, they may be able to help and another woman on here turned me on to operation homefront.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds about right. You fight for your country, bleed, endure physical and mental trauma and then a swift boot up the ass as you're walking out the door with the bare minimum (if you're lucky) given to "help" you. Growing up in the military then becoming a military wife, I've seen it many times and it breaks my heart. God bless america right? 

I'm so sorry you guys are going through this :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured