Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM
He should go to school. Then housing costs and school are paid for with the GI Bill. DH is doing that and collecting unemployment since he's in an approved training program), and I get food stamps for the kids and I and we're doing fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:46 PM
which is why im so glad i got dh not to join the marines. it was his life dream. but this government is stupid.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( can u talk to lawyer or do some research or some sort of appeal. I would think the government would take care of him under ' disable or injury ' worker compensation.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is really sad that these men risk it all just to end up with nothing in the end

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry. My brother has the same problem. He tried to re enlist and they wouldn't let him. He was injured in iraq.

Fjamrkr
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
VA could take forever and a day to do anything.

A friend of mine has been dealing with them for years and is still being jerked around. They lost her file once and she started over then they sent her case to another state because of back log and when she checked the status of her case, they had gone from more or less pending approval to gathering sufficient evidence of injury. Doesn't help that they keep jumping severe injuries to the front of the line and making the back log of cases worse.

Quoting lnrmom:

Apply for VA benefits.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Disabled people born disabled find jobs

buttercup627
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Does he have disability? He might be entitled to a disability check from the govt you should look into that. Also press for the VA to transfer his medical stuff to a civilian nearer to you, 2 hours is too far and PTSD is serious he needs help close to home. You should also have him look in VocRehab they can train him in a trade that might give him better job or career opportunities or he should look into starting school and using his GI Bill. If he can get some education, it should lead to better opportunities down the road and the Post 9/11 offers a lot of financial help.

The military can and will take care of your family even now that he's out but you have to know where to go and who to ask, they don't just hand out free help you have to apply for it. Contact the VA they're the best place to start. If you have questions ask me and I'll do my best to find you answers

RoxStetz
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

You are absolutely right, it isn't fair at all.  I'm so sorry you and yours are going through this.  It's not right. 

ROBIN-C
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

On page two and I can't read any further because it scares the shit out of me! Son will exit the army in dec by his choice. Just returned from Afghanistan. We have seen some small affects, but I fear I time there could be more. Thank goodness he is young, 21 next week and will be able to go,to college and have a different career. 

OP it is so wrong! Sometimes I wonder if the military doesn't purposely make,sure they are trained in things for civilian jobs so they have to stay in the military. If that makes any sense? I knowmhowmdumb that sounds, why would they train people for jobs elsewhere? No employer does that. But they are aware that the chance of soldiers being hurt physically or mentally is high. So why not provide training if they can no longer be in the military due to on the job injuries? 

Kmary
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh thank God I'm not the only callous, horrible person who feels this same way

I appreciate anyone's service.  It's a noble choice and I'm sure that I could never have done what many others have chosen to do in serving our nation.  But it is a choice, nonetheless.  No one forced their hand.  I've never served and have no close family or friends in the military and even I know that once out, there isn't much in the way of assistance.  One needs to be personally responsible.  And while in theory, I personally would LOVE to assist every single person who served our country, it's simply impossible.  Plus, where would it end?  It isn't only military personnel who risk their health/safety for the good of others.  We just can't logistically care for everyone who made a noble career choice, even if it's the "right" thing to do.

Quoting kaylamom2004:

Not to sound callous ... but it's a CHOICE to serve. So if he can't make ends meet, then maybe you both needs to get jobs or better jobs.

If your child is disabled ... you can apply for disability benefits & insurance help to pay for most of the bills.

tonesofhome
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM

you're right they should. 

but, no one forced your husband to enlist. you need to look at the risks of being military, it is a choice people make and with that choice, you need to consider the consequences and circumstances that may arise from making said choice, 

i don't trust the government as far as i can throw them, which is why i would never become a part of the driving force, i appreciate the people that do sacrifice their lives for our country, i just wish they were fully informed of what may happen as a result of it. so that people may make an informed decision on whether or not he risk is worth the possible end result. 

im sorry. i thank your husband for his sacrifice, and for fighting for this fucked up country. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)