Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (81-90):
Scarlettsecret
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry.... But protecting this country is not something he was forced to do. It was his career choice.  I agree that our military doesn't get paid what they should for the risk, but they know the risk prior to enlisting and ultimately make the choice.  Its not the country's job to support him forever for his career choices and he knew that going in too. And he didn't end up with nothing. He lived through his experiences and has pride in the fact that he protected this country.  Yeah that doesn't help pay bills but we all face financial ups and downs.

blue123244
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

The American govt is shameful when it comes to our vets - they should absolutely be supported if they can't make ends meet - everything should be done for these brave men and women $500 a month is outrageous

brysonsmommy_10
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Go to the nearest Veteran's Affairs office.  My mom is a manager (not sure what her actual title is) of the Veteran's Affairs office in Conyers, GA.  They will help get all of your paperwork together and tell you what types of doctor's appointments to set up in order to file for disability through the VA.  Disability through the VA is not the same as regular disability.  After he has done all of the paperwork and got doctor's opinions he will be assigned a percentage of how disabled he is and will get a monthly check based on that percentage.  Because the this is through the VA, he will also still be able to work.  Also, remember when you go to the office the nicer you are the more willing the benefits representative will be to bend over backwards to get your stuff done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Its called the VA and he needs to go file for benefits now. Guess many don't want to try and help themselves. I have been on 4 deployments in 12 years and walked out of a px just moments before it was hit over seas. My best friend was still inside. I only came out to smoke. So yeah I understand ptsd. He needs to go to the VA and file.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM
It's a fucking shame how the veterans are treated. They suffer severe injuries, traumatic PTSD. As well as many other things. All from serving their country.
I'm very sorry you and yours are going through this .
Fjamrkr
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Yeah, true.

I just get kinda rude about them cuz my friend is having such a hard time.

Quoting lnrmom:

Ok. But rather than delaying start, just get it started. Keep a log of everything.

Quoting Fjamrkr:

VA could take forever and a day to do anything.

A friend of mine has been dealing with them for years and is still being jerked around. They lost her file once and she started over then they sent her case to another state because of back log and when she checked the status of her case, they had gone from more or less pending approval to gathering sufficient evidence of injury. Doesn't help that they keep jumping severe injuries to the front of the line and making the back log of cases worse.

Quoting lnrmom:

Apply for VA benefits.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:01 PM

i hate how the military keeps getting shit on, my dad, who was in the navy in veitnam, he got hep C bc they shot him up with a dirty needle. he is stuck getting food stamps which he barly gets, he gets disablity monthly which is barly enough to even make rent!  u think the goverment would help him out a bit nope! you know who helps him? me and my brothers thats who! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM
It's sad. My dh and I are struggling too bc of Injuries in the military. We get assistance and I get bashed all to hell bc of it. People don't understand until they live it. Sorry mama. Fight va for compensation benefits. We've been fighting for over two years. Still got nothing. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
My sorry ex husband lives in TX. He's 100% DAV and he's living very well. What's sad is that I don't think he deserves the 100%. When his tank was blown up he suffered from smoke inhalation and that's all. Besides that this guy is in perfection condition. He kept going back to the VA and after almost a year of playing the system he qualified for the 100%. It pisses me off because there are people out there like OP's husband who actually need this. Smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe move to another area. My older brother was in the military and was injured and is disabled because of it but he bought a house and raises his daughters on his own just fine. He is in Texas.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I think it's absolute bullshit! $500 pension for the army after honorable discharge is absolute fuckin' bullshit!!! Especially when Senate, Congress, etc is sitting on 6 & 7 digit incomes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured