Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dh fought for his country and in return this is what he gets...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh served active duty for 6.5 years...served over in Iraq and Afghanistan....he was released after suffering with pstd severely because of seeing his best friend killed in action by a bullet that hit him went through his side (broke a couple of ribs)and into his friends chest...he blamed himself...
Anyways so he serves his country risks his life watched his friend die and now we struggle just to make ends meet....that doesn't seem right I think the government should now help provide for dh and our family...he can't get a job doing what he did in the army so now had to take a very low paying job that doesn't even cover bills..(in the process of loosing our home)
It doesn't seem fair...why should these men risk everything only to struggle in the end..the government needs to step up and help provide for these men and their families!!!

Yes I work, but between bills and medical bills for our disabled child and having to travel 2 hours just so dh can get counseling we are loosing it all

We got very little help when he first came home....and since then nothing...the pension they gave him was under 500 a month so he had no choice but to work and that meant him looking the pension...he was a Bradley mechanic, ranger and a sniper while in the military...
Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Replies (91-100):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Sorry - but I don't understand why you and your husband would expect the gov't to take care of your family? Your husband is getting $500 a month already, was his plan to never work ever again? The gov't is supposed to 'take care of' your budget problems until he is of retirement age?

- I don't disagree that more needs to be done to take care of our vetrans PTSD issues - but you guys decided to have 3 kids, take care of them.

jobo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

But we will spend ,i believe its 40,000 a year to house criminals..they get 3 meals a day,schooling,health care,dental etc...my father fought in the war and you know what he got? A plaque when he died for on his grave site and my mother had to fight for that..it's not right..

Quoting armywife009:

Get ready for the bashings and the "you aren't owed shit" argument.

Yes, it's a job he chose, but it's also a risky job that should have better benefits. Sadly, a lot of veterans suffer in the end and are not given adequate care. They give you the whole "We take care of our own", "We are family and we are here for you", but once it's all said and done and you've done your time in the field, you are nothing to them. They've gotten what they've wanted out of you.

Have you tried going back to school op? Maybe do classes that would enhance your career? I would look into these things. Maybe your dh can team up with a local community college to take some career enhancing classes as well.

Best of luck to you guys.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM
Preaching to the choir here girl... they should also push using the GI bill while in.. we got out and were all excited to have him to go college.. only to realize its just not feasible if we want a roof over our heads. Go to the va? Lmao right... with what time? To go there means taking time of work we can't afford... smdh its a vicious circle.. he was in for 7... came out with PTSD, a hurt back and ankle..I hear you. Edit to include his hearing is ruined now as well... he usually fails hearing tests.. perks of being a mortarmen.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Yes it is sad what the OP is going through but until they can get the disability they should try to find another way to make money and possibly moving to another area would be good for them. My brother was beat in the head and actually died but was revived and ended up with a metal plate in his head. He doesn't remember a lot of things but I think he does fine for the most part. He was actually beat by some other military guys while stationed in Germany. He did 3 tours in the middle east also and has PTSD as well. I think they should help more people with PTSD because it is hard to live with. I have it but not as severe as others. Mine was from a domestic violence situation though.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sorry ex husband lives in TX. He's 100% DAV and he's living very well. What's sad is that I don't think he deserves the 100%. When his tank was blown up he suffered from smoke inhalation and that's all. Besides that this guy is in perfection condition. He kept going back to the VA and after almost a year of playing the system he qualified for the 100%. It pisses me off because there are people out there like OP's husband who actually need this. Smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe move to another area. My older brother was in the military and was injured and is disabled because of it but he bought a house and raises his daughters on his own just fine. He is in Texas.

besosfantasies
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My father is a Vietnam Vet and get gets an awesome check once a month with added benefits. What a lot of people do not understand is the process of paperwork, going to the VA, etc that cost time to get those beneftis.

Quoting CelestialSong:

It isn't fair. But the government has been screwing over veterans for as long as there has been a government. Ask any Vietnam vet how they've been treated.

I hope things start looking up for your family.

Katalina650
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

They treat military terribly.  So sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

call the VA they can help you ,my brother was the same as your Dh only he wasn't a sniper in the military ,when he came home he has ptsd really bad and my uncle told him to call the VA and they helped him with medical bills and with home bills.I agree that the miltary needs to do better for the men and woman who serve I wish you luck

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

And has he gone to the VA?  Usually the compensation offered by the military is very little, but the VA is higher.  Has he looked into any veteran's groups?  They will help you file claims with the VA for free, but it is best if you can pay to get a membership with them.

Has he started using his GI Bill to return to school so he can better his position in life?

I was retired with 70% disability.  I'm making 100% compensation through the VA because the nature of my disability prevents me from working.  He really needs to keep pursuing that route with veterans groups and the VA.  Personally, I worked with a group called Disabled American Veterans, and within one single appeal of my claim my case was resolved to a level that satisfied me.  Thanks to them, not only did the VA up the compensation while I go through therapies to make it possible for me to work, but I was opened up to many programs tailored to my needs that I didn't qualify for before the DAV intervened.

momof2girls220
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

my husband was in the navy for 8 years. he got about the same.

wmmom06
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

He should apply at Chase. They like hiring Veterans to work for the company, Not saying they will hire him, but it is worth a shot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)