Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leaving my baby for 5 days

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm going to a wedding in October and will be gone for a total of 5 days. Dd will be a year and a half by that time and she still BFs. I'm not sure what to do since I don't think that not bfing for 5 days is a good idea... she shows no signs of weaning, either. I would bring her but it would be a pain in the ass. So should I bring a hand pump (dh and i will be flying) or something? Or try weaning her before then, as much as I don't want to? What would you bfing ladies suggest?

I would ask in the bfing group but they are soooo slow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

if you are not going to bring her, you will need to bring a pump to prevent engorgement

or she may wean by then

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM
No idea bump
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I wouldn't mind weaning her but I'm honestly not sure how. I was going to let her self wean but I might try weaning her before then.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

if you are not going to bring her, you will need to bring a pump to prevent engorgement

or she may wean by then

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Good luck hun I have no suggestions.

amberleh
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I would pump while you are there to keep your supply in if you want to let her wean herself. If you are ready to just go ahead and wean her and not wait on her, then I would go ahead and start weaning her now.

cindilou13
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Have you not pumped or been away from her at all so far?  I bf'd mine for 11 and 13 months but worked full time, so pumped regularly and they took bottles as needed.  DS self weaned at 11 months and DD I was just done myself-got to be too much with all the pumping needed and taking care of DS and working...whew.  

Pump in advance a supply to leave with her for  have in a sippy (at a year and a half should not be having using a bottle much if at all anyway), and then pump at regular intervals while you are gone.  If you don't pump, you will be engorged, leaking, and in pain, and your supply would reduce as well if you went that long.  It only took 3-4 days of not nursing or pumping for my supply to reduce to nothing so if you want to continue you'll definitely need to either take her or pump.

Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:41 PM
I work overnights on the weekends. She hasn't taken a bottle since she was 6 months. I might start weaning just because I start school end of next month and she needs to start learning how to soothe herself for naps/bedtime. I did pump when I was at work, up until she was about 9 months old. My ds was FF so I'm learning as I go lol.

Quoting cindilou13:

Have you not pumped or been away from her at all so far?  I bf'd mine for 11 and 13 months but worked full time, so pumped regularly and they took bottles as needed.  DS self weaned at 11 months and DD I was just done myself-got to be too much with all the pumping needed and taking care of DS and working...whew.  

Pump in advance a supply to leave with her for  have in a sippy (at a year and a half should not be having using a bottle much if at all anyway), and then pump at regular intervals while you are gone.  If you don't pump, you will be engorged, leaking, and in pain, and your supply would reduce as well if you went that long.  It only took 3-4 days of not nursing or pumping for my supply to reduce to nothing so if you want to continue you'll definitely need to either take her or pump.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN