Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Goin' on a plane

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies

Me, DD (6) and DS (4 1/2) are going on a plane from IL to CA. I have no idea what to do. I have the packing under control - but the whole airline procedures scares the hell out of me. When I get dropped off, how do I know where to go? What exactly is "checking in", can't I just give the desk my ticket? I can "check in" online... Huh? Once I check in, then what? What should I know about security? More importantly - security and my kids...

I'm terrified. How will they react on the plane? What happens if they get restless in the middle of the flight (I guess it's a 4 hour flight or something). AHHH!

ANY bit of info would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Nobody?????

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM

have you never flown before?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I flew with my parents once, but I was 8 - so I just followed wherever they went.

DH was going to come with me but can't get time off work, not that he'd be too much help, he's never flown before either.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

have you never flown before?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I would check in online if possible, it will save you time at the airport. Depending on the airline you can print off the boarding passes and take those with you to the airport. If you are running late it helps if you are already checked in. That being said give yourself lots of time at the airport, better to have to sit and wait than be running around stressed out. Take some toys and books to occupy them, or you may get lucky and they might have an entertainment system that they can watch movies on!

Kitschy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Are you flying out of Ohare?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Yes. I'm leaving this Thursday and my flight leaves at 8pm...

Quoting Kitschy:

Val99
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You can check-in online or at the airport which provides you with a boarding pass.  If you check-in at the airport, just go to the counter for your airline.  They will also check in your bags.  Once you have your boarding passes from check-in you can head to security where they will do everything short of an anal probe. (j/k'ing just a bit)  Once through security you go to your gate and await the call for boarding of your flight.

Most airports I've been to within the last year have those security xray machines that you stand inside with your hands over your head and it can see through your clothes.  Remember to wear shoes that are easy on and off, since shoes, belts, jackets, sweaters, etc. all have to go through a separate xray machine.  If you bring a laptop or iPad it has to be removed from the carryon luggage and scanned separately.  Don't wear clothes with metal on them or it may cause issues.  You can't bring any liquids through security (water bottles, soda, etc), you have to buy it when you get inside the secure zone.

Bring material to keep the kids occupied.  There is nothing worse than a screaming child on a crowded flight.  Also, bring gum or something to chew on for take-offs and landings.

Kitschy
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Okay, go to the website and take a look at where your terminal is going to be. This will help you a bit. I fly out on Friday. :) but I'm used to it and I'll be sans children. You can e check in and print your tickets from home if you wish. Your husband will drop you off at the airline you are flying out of. If you want, you can check you luggage right there at the door. There will be a man there who will offer. Keep in mind if you do this, you will need to tip him. Otherwise there are machines when you walk in that will take you through the prompts.You can check in very easily with a credit card or debit card in your name. There will be stations set up to check your bags and they will direct you where to go. Next you will walk through security. That part will feel stressful but just follow directions and get there early enough that you don't feel rushed. After security you will head to your gate and wait to bored the plane. If you want to bring any drinks or food on to the plane this is a good time to get them, since many things might not make it through security. Bring gum for the kids to help them pop their ears and plenty for them to do. You can purchase headphones usually for a dollar on the flight for TV, a movie, or jut to listen to the flight communication. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I'm leaving this Thursday and my flight leaves at 8pm...

Quoting Kitschy:

photo cff93b12-86de-46b2-be52-d4be4609e9b7_zpsf2ed7349.jpg

msb64
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Normally I would say check in on-line and get your boarding pass.  But since you haven't really flown before (and are nervous) I would check in at the airline counter.  Ask them to walk you through the procedure step by step.  They will direct you onto how to get to your gate.  Bigger airports may require you to get on a bus or tram and change terminals but if you give yourself plenty of time, it shouldn't be a problem as it is really well marked.  Go to your gate early - it gives you better piece of mind.  There are usually places to get food and drinks and window shop around the gates.

Count the number of your bags (checked and carryon) and have your kids help you remember that number.  Include a stuffed animal as a "bag".  It ensures that "lovey" doesn't get left on the plane or that one of your suitcases is left on the conveyor belt.

Security can be a little intimidating the first time through.  Be prepared (you and kids) to take off shoes, jewelry, belts.  Make sure you have liquids, including toiletries, in a ziploc and put on tray separate from your carry on.  Take any electronics and put on tray as well.  Pack as lightly as possible as far as carry ons.  

Four hours seems a long time to entertain kids but it really isn't.  Between take off and landing and snacks and potential meal, it goes quickly so don't be tempted to pack a ton of stuff to entertain them.  You are better off packing just a couple of things (let them carry their own backpacks) and keeping light.  You can take snacks on the flight just beware of liquid restrictions.  If your kids like and have electronics, let them take an ipad or iphone but prepare them for the fact that the devices will have to be off during take off and landing.

Upon arrival you will collect your baggage.  Just follow the masses and ask.  There is almost always airline reps outside the plane door to direct you where you need to go.

I have found people, both airport staff and other travellers, are more than happy to direct and help you.

supercarp
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You don't have to print your ticket before going to the airport. Go early enough so that you don't have to rush. Expect taking time between parking and walking into the airport, especially if you have to ride a shuttle. Check in at your correct airline counter (Delta, United, Southwest, etc) using your credit card and print your tickets at a kiosk. It's self explanatory. Check any baggae that is too large to carry on (costs extra) The ticket will have your gate on it. Go to the security line and do what you're told, having your ID and boarding pass for them to look at.

Carryon luggage can't have containers that hold more than 4 ounces of fluids like shampoo. They'll tell you when to take off your shoes, kids don't have to anymore. You are allowed one carryon suitcase and another bag, like your purse. Use that to put books for the kids in. Pack some toys that don't have a bunch of pieces.

Once you get through security, locate your gate and make sure your flight is on time. At that point you have time to use the restroom or get a drink and relax until you board. You can look out the window and show the kids what is going on on the tarmac. They usually start boarding about a half hour before departure. If you don't have a seat assignment you may not get on the plane (just one of the things that can go wrong) But stay optimistic. Have a nice trip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN