Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was all for shopping at walmart until i saw this on the news UPDATE

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 353 Replies
4 moms liked this
The bill passed today. I guess there will be no Walmart in dc

Top News Stories
Walmart Threatening to Pull Plans for D.C. Stores MILA MIMICA 07/09/2013 4:54 PM
Walmart, Inc. is threatening to pull its plans to build three urban stores in D.C. if Mayor Vincent Gray signs a new living wage bill into law.

According to a statement from Walmart released Tuesday afternoon, the company is reconsidering its plans to construct stores at Skyland, Capitol Gateway and New York Avenue. 

The company goes further in threatening to halt construction of three more D.C. store locations if the Large Retailer Accountability Act is passed by Gray.

"While we will continue to engage with the Council leading up to July 10, we also urge Mayor Gray to veto this discriminatory legislation [LRAA] as it runs counter to every economic development platform his administration has identified as a priority for Washington, D.C.," Walmart's statement reads.

The LRAA would require "large retailers," whose retails stores take up at least 75,000 square feet and whose parent companies have sales of more than $1 billion, to pay wages no lower than $11.75 per hour. This would also include subcontractors working on the premises of the stores.

"The LRAA would clearly inject unforeseen costs into the equation that will create an uneven playing field and change the fiscal health of our planned D.C. stores," Walmart's statement reads.

Council is set to consider the LRAA at a meeting Wednesday.

"While we will continue to engage with the Council leading up to July 10, we also urge Mayor Gray to veto this discriminatory legislation as it runs counter to every economic development platform his administration has identified as a priority for Washington, D.C.," Walmart's statement reads.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM
31 moms liked this

I'm sorry, but most people at walmart do not deserve 11.75 an hour.

People do realize they keep their prices low by paying their employees a low wage. If their employees pay is higher what is that going to do to prices?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM
2 moms liked this
$11.75 an hour to run a cash register??
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
10 moms liked this
I don't blame them. People with no skills what so ever should not be paid 11.75 per hour. You will see other stores pull out too. That's ridiculous.
imakehimscream
by He screams on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this
Prices on stuff there has already gone up. How are people suppose to live if they are making less than 10an hour? Its really expensive in DC, MD and va. That's why so many people are on walfare

Quoting Anonymous:

People do realize they keep their prices low by paying their employees a low wage. If their employees pay is higher what is that going to do to prices?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:15 PM
13 moms liked this

The Walton's are probably the most greedy family in the US.

It's not just low wages, but they even make their financial staff work under 32 hours a week so they can't have benefits, while the Walton's rake in amazing profits that never "trickle down".

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM
13 moms liked this
A job meant for a teenager was never meant to support a family.

Quoting imakehimscream:

Prices on stuff there has already gone up. How are people suppose to live if they are making less than 10an hour? Its really expensive in DC, MD and va. That's why so many people are on walfare

Quoting Anonymous:

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:17 PM
8 moms liked this

Walmart has the highest statistics for their employees being on welfare because they do not pay a living wage.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/10/10/1141724/-Walmart-fuels-inequality-epidemic-taking-advantage-of-our-safety-net#

Walmart's employees receive $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. They are also the top recipients of Medicaid in numerous states. Why does this occur? Walmart fails to provide a livable wage and decent healthcare benefits, costing U.S. taxpayers an annual average of $1.02 billion in healthcare costs. This direct public subsidy is being given to offset the failures of an international corporate giant who shouldn’t be shifting part of its labor costs onto the American taxpayers.

kthruz143
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM

That is many companys not just walmart

Quoting Anonymous:

The Walton's are probably the most greedy family in the US.

It's not just low wages, but they even make their financial staff work under 32 hours a week so they can't have benefits, while the Walton's rake in amazing profits that never "trickle down".

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting imakehimscream:

Quoting Anonymous:

Two jobs or more, have two incomes. That is how people make it without welfare. I have worked super hard in my life and have never needed welfare, even when I was making 7.25 an hour! Hell right now I only make $13 an hour and I have a fucking college degree, so no, people at walmart should not make 11.75 an hour and I agree with them for pulling out on their plans.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Walmart treats their employeesl like crap. I know cause I work there. Probably why the employees don't give a crap about it's customers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)