Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was all for shopping at walmart until i saw this on the news UPDATE

The bill passed today. I guess there will be no Walmart in dc

Top News Stories
Walmart Threatening to Pull Plans for D.C. Stores MILA MIMICA 07/09/2013 4:54 PM
Walmart, Inc. is threatening to pull its plans to build three urban stores in D.C. if Mayor Vincent Gray signs a new living wage bill into law.

According to a statement from Walmart released Tuesday afternoon, the company is reconsidering its plans to construct stores at Skyland, Capitol Gateway and New York Avenue. 

The company goes further in threatening to halt construction of three more D.C. store locations if the Large Retailer Accountability Act is passed by Gray.

"While we will continue to engage with the Council leading up to July 10, we also urge Mayor Gray to veto this discriminatory legislation [LRAA] as it runs counter to every economic development platform his administration has identified as a priority for Washington, D.C.," Walmart's statement reads.

The LRAA would require "large retailers," whose retails stores take up at least 75,000 square feet and whose parent companies have sales of more than $1 billion, to pay wages no lower than $11.75 per hour. This would also include subcontractors working on the premises of the stores.

"The LRAA would clearly inject unforeseen costs into the equation that will create an uneven playing field and change the fiscal health of our planned D.C. stores," Walmart's statement reads.

Council is set to consider the LRAA at a meeting Wednesday.

"While we will continue to engage with the Council leading up to July 10, we also urge Mayor Gray to veto this discriminatory legislation as it runs counter to every economic development platform his administration has identified as a priority for Washington, D.C.," Walmart's statement reads.
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Replies (221-230):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is it everyone is all gung-ho for corporate welfare, but a struggling family getting a few hundred dollars a month in food stamps is so horribly shameful?
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Min wages on the books in the state of KS was $2.75 until 2010. Sad, huh? Thank goodness for federal min wage.

I said it was LIKE $7. It's probably $7.25 or so, but I don't live there so I don't know for sure. My friend makes about $8/hr but she's been there a few years. It's not just by state, btw--her tiny town's WM pays less than one in, say, Wichita because the cost of living is lower there.

Quoting poietes:

Lol, I live in South Dakota, one of the lowest paying states in the country. Im just guessing that my numbers are pretty damn valid for a lower paying state. I have never seen a Walmarts base pay less than min wage which is $7.25.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

It very much depends on where you live. In Kansas, where one of my good friends works at Walmart, cashiers get, like, $7/hour because that's a lot of money there. $11/hour for a dept mgr there would be awesome.

Remember, not every area is the same as yours.

Quoting poietes:

Lol, just because they dont want to do more interviews does mean he is not replaceable. Seriously? After 5 years and being a dept mgr he hasnt even hit $11. Wow, must be getting the bare min for evals. Doesnt sound to irreplaceable to me.

Quoting Anonymous:

He has worked there 5 years and he just got his department. And no he isn't replaceable. Because they are all begging him to stay because they know he is looking for another job.

Quoting poietes:

I was a dept mgr for 4 years, seasonal dept at that, one of the toughest. It is a hard job with little help and less apprecation. But dont fool yourself. He is totally replaceable, there are many people that would be willing and able to do his job. I watched many dept mgrs go through my store. It was never a big deal to find some one new. If thats all your dh is making than he must be doing pretty sucky on his yearly evals. How long has he been with the company?

Quoting Anonymous:

You are damn funny!! He is a department manager. He has to unload the trucks and load customers cars. He also stocks the shelves as gives his people ther work for the day. You or man could handle his job. If it wasn't for my Dh and other people who work retail who would help snobby twits like youself? I don't work. If I would in the public I would slap the taste out of snobby people mouthes

Quoting Anonymous:

So he should get paid more because of other ignorant people? Why don't y'all worry about yourselves and get an education and a better job? Most employees at walmart don't know the meaning of hardwork. But DF would be embarrassed to work there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh makes 10.75 an hour at Walmart. We get fs and wic. Yes they should pay their people more. They have to put up with ignorant people all day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 31 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I had a masters when I worked in retail, it was just a weekend gig for a little extra cash. One of my coworkers was a lawyer but she couldn't work as one right then, some competition clause in her previous contract or something. We also had a couple of massage therapists and a paralegal who could make more money there than they could in their fields. It wasn't great pay, starting wage was $11, but as you moved up pay got better. Our manager made over $200K.

Quoting xredstarsx:

The problem with that is there are now way more low wage jobs than there are teens to work them. With retail, fast food, call centers and what not being so prominent some adults have to work them. I know of numerous people with degrees working these jobs because it is all they can get. When I worked at target there was a girl with a masters working the register.

Quoting Anonymous:

A job meant for a teenager was never meant to support a family.

Quoting imakehimscream:

Prices on stuff there has already gone up. How are people suppose to live if they are making less than 10an hour? Its really expensive in DC, MD and va. That's why so many people are on walfare

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but most people at walmart do not deserve 11.75 an hour.

People do realize they keep their prices low by paying their employees a low wage. If their employees pay is higher what is that going to do to prices?

Arwyn724
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Exactly, which is why $11.75 in Wash., DC is barely above minimum.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's all relative to area. Here, its a living wage. Where you live I'm sure the going rate is higher. And CNAs can pick up shifts to make more money.

Quoting Anonymous:

$12 an hour full time wouldn't even pay the mortgage on a two bedroom condo in my area. That is not even close to a living wage.

Arwyn 724 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I make $11.80. $14.80 on Sunday

Quoting Anonymous:

$11.75 an hour to run a cash register??
jenea2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Are you mad?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting imakehimscream:

Prices on stuff there has already gone up. How are people suppose to live if they are making less than 10an hour? Its really expensive in DC, MD and va. That's why so many people are on walfare

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm sorry, but most people at walmart do not deserve 11.75 an hour.

People do realize they keep their prices low by paying their employees a low wage. If their employees pay is higher what is that going to do to prices?

Two jobs or more, have two incomes. That is how people make it without welfare. I have worked super hard in my life and have never needed welfare, even when I was making 7.25 an hour! Hell right now I only make $13 an hour and I have a fucking college degree, so no, people at walmart should not make 11.75 an hour and I agree with them for pulling out on their plans.

FL2AK
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't understand it when people want such a controlling government.
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Walmart and just about any retail job is a minimum wage job. It requires no education or special skill. Minimum wage is not 11.75. Its something in the $7 here in Colorado.

Quoting Stephanie329:

Quoting ladyraven16:

I don't blame them. People with no skills what so ever should not be paid 11.75 per hour. You will see other stores pull out too. That's ridiculous.

Where do you live that $11.75 is over paying for a walmart job? Do you think that is good money?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Too funny!! I am a medical coder as well and make 16.00 an hour - that is even hard sometimes! A gallon of milk here is 3.00 - grocerys are A LOT more expensive than they were 8 or so years ago. I remember living on less and even being able to have a little more on occasion :) I feel for those making a lower wage - that includes you! It is hard - totally get it. Medical coding is no joke, its hard work!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
The whole point of my comment was that people need to stop making working at walmart a career, better themselves, and leave walmart jobs for high schoolers.

Quoting Anonymous:

It also wouldn't be a living wage in DC which is the point of this whole discussion. $11.75 part time might cover a bad apartment in the ghetto but they'd be nothing left for food or the ER after you get shot picking up the mail.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's all relative to area. Here, its a living wage. Where you live I'm sure the going rate is higher. And CNAs can pick up shifts to make more money.

Quoting Anonymous:

$12 an hour full time wouldn't even pay the mortgage on a two bedroom condo in my area. That is not even close to a living wage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Again, you put yourself in that situation. You should have researched wages more.

CNAs in my area making AT LEAST $12 an hour and that is a wage you can live off because we've done it... There's medical coding and billing, pharmacy tech, phlebotomy, welding, auto mechanic. There's really too many to list. but again, people will ALWAYS have excuses.

Quoting Schauseil:

such as....... I'm EMT certified, doesn't cost alot or take much time. Its still a waste of time though. The companies in my area only pay 8/hr. The local gas station starts out at 8.25/hr.

In fact, I don't know of any cert. that is "cheap" and pays more than 10/hr. Which still is not a living wage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course I know how much college is. I pay for it out of pocket. There are places to get certificates for cheap. People just like to make excuses after excuses to justify staying with a shitty job and living off of the government.

Quoting Schauseil:

and what if they can't? Do you know how much college is? If I hadn't had my son, I wouldn't qualify for any type of federal studant aid and there is no way in hell I could have afforded to go to college. Not everyone comes from a financially stable family, and when you are 18, working a min. wage job with no one to co-sign loans for you, how do you pay for school?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes but most of the time, people put themselves in those positions. ESPECIALLY the ones that dont better themselves and further their education.

Quoting Schauseil:

You do realize that there are only X number of good paying jobs available right? And when they are gone, what do you expect ppl to do? My mom actually deals with this reality on a daily basis. When she started her degree in dental hygiene it was a great job market. Her first year or so after graduating was ok too. But now there are so many ppl flooding the feild its hard to find and keep work. She's resorted to working in prisons because there is nothing available in the private market.

Quoting Anonymous:

Haha trust me we are far from snobby! But i think its ridiculous that people complain about not making enough and they work at WALMART. Like i said get an education and get better jobs so you can support yourselves WITHOUT government help. And where do you work miss?

Quoting Anonymous:

You are damn funny!! He is a department manager. He has to unload the trucks and load customers cars. He also stocks the shelves as gives his people ther work for the day. You or man could handle his job. If it wasn't for my Dh and other people who work retail who would help snobby twits like youself? I don't work. If I would in the public I would slap the taste out of snobby people mouthes

Quoting Anonymous:

So he should get paid more because of other ignorant people? Why don't y'all worry about yourselves and get an education and a better job? Most employees at walmart don't know the meaning of hardwork. But DF would be embarrassed to work there.

Quoting Anonymous:

Dh makes 10.75 an hour at Walmart. We get fs and wic. Yes they should pay their people more. They have to put up with ignorant people all day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)