Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just because its in the yard doesn't mean you can take it!

Posted by   + Show Post

We're in the process of moving. We can't move into the house yet until we get some legal paperwork through, but no ones living in it right now so the owner said we could start moving our stuff in. We've been slowly bringing stuff over bit by bit and this afternoon my husband and six year old son took a load over, including our bikes. They left the bikes on the lawn in front of the house while they brought stuff inside. They came outside a little while later and my sons bike was gone. My husband looks down the road and sees a guy and his son wheeling my sons bike down the street. He knew it was my sons because he has a baseball card on the wheel and his name, Abel, painted on the side.

My husband ran after them and this is the conversation they had-

Robin (Husband)- Excuse me, I think thats my stepsons bike.

Guy- No, someone was giving it away.

R- Who gave it to you?

G- It was in that yard over there with some other bikes and boxes, someone left it out for people to take.

R- Sorry but thats my house and no we didn't leave it out for people to take, we just left it there while we were unpacking. Theres no "free for taking" sign.

The guy then shoves the bike at him and says- well you shouldn't just leave stuff in your yard if you want it, thats like the international sign for give aways.

And then they walked away. Um, what the heck? Just because someone is on a front lawn doesn't mean the person is giving it away! Where do people get these ideas? After they walked away my husband saw him get in a car with Ohio plates (we live in upstate NY) that was full of suitcases, so they didn't even live around here, just passing through on vacation. Judging by the little league glass paint on the car windows they were probably going or coming from Cooperstown.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM

A few years ago we were moving out of our apartment. We loaded the truck, but the couch would not fit. We left it outside our front door and went to get DH's truck, by the time we drove around the side someone was already moving it into their apartment. People suck.

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Really? Yikes!

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol I live in Baltimore- if you leave something unattended for 5 minutes, it is expected to be gone.

Fjamrkr
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Yeah meaning, it's understandable that he would think it's to give away. but it would have to be standing up like at the mailbox for me to even think that.

And with all the boxes, he should have known someone was obviously moving in. Or out.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

wtf? not even by the street! if it isn't yours don't take it! DUH!

Quoting Fjamrkr:

If it's by the street, yeah, but not in just in the front yard. What a tool.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
What awesome neighbors you have there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Usually yes it is. I don't take stuff off the curb but that is usually what it means. Either you take it or the trash truck will take it.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

no it isn't.

Quoting Sportbominable:

If it's on the curb it's free for taking not on the lawn. 

MommeisQueen
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM
That's like only on trash day and its the curb not the lawn..and not outside your own neighborhood...who does that in another state? Lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I really would question the safety of that neighborhood
JLo1486
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Exactly. People put what they don't want with the trash. That's when people take what's being thrown out. That's everywhere I've ever lived. My neighbor gets all of her stuff from the trash.

Quoting Anonymous:

Usually yes it is. I don't take stuff off the curb but that is usually what it means. Either you take it or the trash truck will take it.

Quoting CountryStrong84:

no it isn't.

Quoting Sportbominable:

If it's on the curb it's free for taking not on the lawn. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM
That sounds like something that happened to my cousin. They have property right on the lake. They have not built a house yet but they have a beach, a kitchen like area with power and running water. There is also a shed with water toys and what not. One day my cousin approaches his property and sees people on the beach using his stuff. He comes up thinking its either friends or family. But he soon realizes he does not know anyone. He starts talking to this guy that tells him they just found this ABANDONED property. Al was just floored and told the guy that he could have the sheriff there in 5 minutes to tell him differantly and that they had 5 seconds to put everything away and to get off his property.
SWasson
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I hope that guy doesn't drive past and decide to take my grill, my lawn chairs, my potted plants...

At the curb, probably. With a "free" sign on it, certainly. In the yard?  Damn, that's nervy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN