Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How hot is too hot for kiddos?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM
  • 29 Replies
I work at a daycare and our AC isn't working properly. Some rooms have working AC, others don't. We live in WA so AC isn't an issue most of the year.

Here lately is been anywhere between 77-82 degrees in some classrooms. The classrooms range in age of 2-5 year olds.

My child is old enough to go to the youth center, but imo 82° is too hot inside. I'd be pissed if my child were in a room that hot all day. Management keeps saying that they put in an order to have it fixed, but it hasn't happened yet.

The kids are too hot and get irritated, as do some of the staff. Am I the only one who thinks this is NOT ok?

- Due to ratios and space we cannot move kids from the non AC rooms into the ones with working AC.
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM

That's hot but not intolerable. Just get a bunch of fans and put them out of reach of the kids.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:44 AM
We have. That's the temp with fans.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

That's hot but not intolerable. Just get a bunch of fans and put them out of reach of the kids.

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM

when the a/c broke at our pre-school, they were forced to close.  I live in South Florida though so it doesnt take long for the heat to rise to over 80 degrees.  Generally the school keeps the temperature to like 65 degrees to kill any virus/bacteria and the kids bring in jackets to keep warm-ish.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM

That is not acceptable. They can buy a cheap new a/c for about $100 and I would expect them to do that  if it took more than a day to have the a/c's fixed.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM
I don't think it's acceptable either but they don't have regular windows to put an ac unit in. Not too mention is a big center. We are talking ten or so rooms without AC.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is not acceptable. They can buy a cheap new a/c for about $100 and I would expect them to do that  if it took more than a day to have the a/c's fixed.

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:54 AM
Thats not that hot. I keep my ac on 80. Its not like it's triple digit temps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I think if the Humidity is really high then that makes it feel hotter than it actually is in the room

AprilDJC
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:55 AM
We lived in WA with no AC for 7 years. You can keep cool by blowing a fan over a big bowl of ice, giving the kids rags with ice in them, or giving them smoothies o popsicles
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:59 AM
We have no where to keep the ice. I mean I could bring some in but once it's all melted then it's all gone. We've been having special treats on Fridays, which has been cool treats like ice cream or popsicles.

Quoting AprilDJC:

We lived in WA with no AC for 7 years. You can keep cool by blowing a fan over a big bowl of ice, giving the kids rags with ice in them, or giving them smoothies o popsicles
poietes
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM
We have our ac at home set at 80. So I dont see a big deal if there are fans. But thats just me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN